Need advice on a Martin ooo-28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ecbluesman54, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

A local store has a Martin 000-28 used for sale. The lowest he can go on it is $1475. Its in great shape with the Martin hard case. What are your thoughts on this? I am just looking for a nice acoustic for home use only.
    One reason I haven't jumped on it yet is that I am thinking I may be able to get something a little cheaper where it is for home use ony, but I would like to own a nice Martin, and I wouldn't plan on selling it anytime soon.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I don't mean to be a spoil-sport but before getting on the Martin train I would ask myself: "is this really the guitar I want more than anything (and at this price)?". Martins are known to be overpriced and this one is no exception. The one you're looking at is a quite a bit more than a brand new Guild F30 (adirondack over mahogany), for instance.

I used to own a Martin HD28 and that was one of the better ones out of Nazareth PA, but in retrospect I realised the one major reason for buying it had to do with the brand name (and the aura of it), not the actual sound it produced. For the price I should have expected more from an instrument like that.

3. royd

royd Member

check on e-bay to see the price that guitar has gone for recently... that will give you an idea if the price is a realistic one. Then, the question is whether you like the guitar $1475 worth.

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Yeah I think both of you are right. I know the Martin name carries a certain aura to it. I am a electric player 99% of the time, and have invested my $ in electric guitars, and amps. What are some recomendations you might give me as far as a real good acoustic guitar in the $1000 price range. Again this would be for solely playing at home for personal entertainment. I think I may start a thread to ask this same question. I appreciate your responses. Thank you!

5. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

Your thread doesn't actually give the age of the Martin. I assume it's a newer used model. Of course if it's a 70's or 60's or older vintage then break your neck getting the check to them. Having said that...there are a lot of guitars out there under $1000 that for your purpose would be fine. Check into some of Larrivees satin finish models. Solid wood and they sound as good or better than guitars that cost 4 times as much. Low end Taylors sound great also. 2 or 3 series. 3's are a little more dough but you can find a 314 or 312 used for about $800-900. I'm strictly an acoustic player so I've tried a lot of them out. As mentioned before some of the Korean made stuff, Guilds, etc. are perfectly functional, nicely made guitars under $1000. Hope this helps.

6. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks for the help. I have always liked the Taylor's so I will check out the 314. Whats the difference between the 312 and 314.
    Thanks, its been a great help.

7. Strat

Strat Member

That is exactly the price of a used 000-28. Great guitars for what it does which is NOT loud struming rythym stuff in my opinion. Sure there are dozens of other considerations out there including Martins with built in Aura etc. I own many acoustics, including a 000-28, and there is nothing wrong with a Martin. Overpriced per one poster ? Hardly. Are there value guitars out there ? Larivee. Should anyone own a Taylor ? No - they are ugly and life is too short to own an ugly guitar - unless you are Romeo Rose.

8. Lance

Lance Member

A friend of mine had a Martin 000-28, and it was pretty nice. It sounded fine in an acoustic environment. But do not try to use it in a full band equation. They vibrate like a lawn mower with a lot of other wave pressure hitting them. I also had a friend who had a nice koa Taylor that she only paid $1000.00 for. Every time she took it into the studio to record with in Nashville, which would be about 6 or 7 times, she had engineers falling over themselves trying to give her lots of money for it. I have played other Taylors in the same price range, and they didn't sound even close to the koa she has. I guess it could be one of the magic ones. Definitely the best acoustic I've ever held. All that aside, I would play as many as you can, and find the magic one. They do exist.

9. 55Junior

55Junior Member

That's about right for a late model used 000-28 in good condition.

If it's an older (say, 1970-1990) model, my main concern would be the neck angle. If the action is good up the neck and there's still plenty of saddle, it's probably OK.

If it's even older (pre-1968) it's Brazilian rosewood, and $1475 is a steal.

As you probably know, the 000-28 has a 24.9" scale instead of the longer 25.4" scale found on a D or OM. That makes for a easier playing guitar (less string tension and shorter reaches) but generally less volume and "punch".

Joe

10. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

My advice is play the guitar and see whether it plays, sounds and feels good to you. If it does, you might find another 00028 mail order/on e-bay that is cheaper but it may not be as good. As for other brands, try these as well and see what you think and make your own mind up. I don't subscribe to the views that Martin's are overpriced as they make extremely good guitars at all price points and I find that the quality, sound and playability holds up with anything else out there. Martin's work really well for lot's of people and other people prefer other brands. You really need to know what works well for you and the only way to that is try lot's of guitars at the price you are prepared to pay.

11. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I bought a D28 Herringbone on a whim in Portland and kept is and played it for 25 years. I sold it to get a piece of electrical equipment that I never really learned how to operate properly before it became outdated. If the guitar is what you want and it inspires you to play it when you look at it, buy it and don't look back. If you are shopping price you could no doubt do better, but if it has the tone you love . . .

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Sorry you had an experience you didn't like. Martins aren't that expensive in comparison to small fine builders these days.
    For example..Olson's sell for $10,000 +
    What many may not know is that you don't have to pay retail/list price for a new Martin.
    All new ones can be bought with a 40% discount from the original price.

ecbluesman54,
    A 000-28 would make a fine guitar! Play it some more and see if it speaks to ya.
    For $1800 you can get a brand new one from one of these great dealers. (no spam...just good previous experiences)
    www.maurysmusic.com or www.myfavoriteguitars.com

Many Martin owners love their guitars...they can be very fine guitars.
    I got this beauty in 2005 and have NO regrets.
    It IS the bee's knees of tone. (d28 marquis amberburst)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

....its a fair price for what is most likely an excellent guitar....a 000 makes a great around the house player but is capab;e of much more than that....

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

Comparing new Martins to Olsons is ludicrous. Traugotts and Hendersons command 25K. Different market altogether. Many Martin guitars are overpriced, relative to other guitars in their price segment.(D18 Authentic for $6200?!) Finding a used one(like in this case) that speaks to you, is a good way to save some $$. I would look for a used Santa Cruz, and get a guitar that more closely replicates a pre-ww2 Martin.

15. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Again...the prices are not what you think!
    A brand new D18 authentic can be purchased for $4799 today. Not 6200 or the advertised 7999 price.
    It is even built with hyde glue...something some small builders will not do.
    BTW...Henderson's sell for 15-25k used but new they are only 2-3k from Wayne.

16. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Even though this topic is starting to veer off of its original post, I appreciate all the feedback. I plan on going back to the store this weekend, and getting more time to play it. That is if it is still available.
    Thanks again, any more ideas would be welcomed

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a 1959 Martin.It sounds wonderful.I just got the neck reset.I played a 1941 000-45(55,000$ refin) at Gruhn's over the holiday week.I recommend buy it,if it floats your boat,rings your bell,etcetera.It will retain it's tone and value.

18. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Right now I have a Taylor 412-CE on loan for a couple of days to try it out. I am going to compare it to the Martin OOO-28, and see how they compare. I am impressed so far with the Taylor.

19. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

The question still remains: how old is the 000-28 in question? Ultimately, that is going to decide if the asking price is high or low.

20. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

The OOO-28 is only a couple years old. I believe it was a 05'