Need advice on a Rick 330 with a repaired neck (Pics)

bearbeams

How bad is this neck damage? Is the guitar still playable and adjustable? I know pics can't tell everything but I haven't really seen this type of damage before and I'm not really sure how to proceed. It looks almost like someone adjusted the truss rods wayy to hard in one direction and cracked the fretboard right off. This guitar has potential to be my dream guitar, the exact color and model I want, for a fantastic price. None of the cosmetics of it bother me. I just have no idea how stable this neck is, if I can adjust the truss rods, etc. I know repaired necks can be potentially be stronger than before. Have any of you seen this type of damage? Is it a safe buy? (Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, they are what I have been provided)

ChuckEds

It looks more like someone dropped or threw it! If you're getting it for a good price it would be worth it having a good tech make sure it's been repaired properly. I'd be just as concerned about the neck/ body joint too, a neck re-set could get pricey...

svenhoek

If that's the only pics the seller will provide, it's not a risk I'd be willing to take. At very least, if you can get the contact info of the repair person, hopefully a shop, and talk to whoever did the repair and get their unbiased opinion on the guitar, that would be worth a lot in the peace of mind dept.

Larry Mal

Is the neck supposed to have been repaired currently, like in those pictures? Because that's not what I'd call a very good repair job, and if it's a bad repair job, then it'll have to be re-broken and re-repaired.

I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
Move on, and buy another. There are loads of 330s around.

I've owned many Rics, and they are temperamental at the best of times, imho. Tuning is the usual problem. But get a good 'un, and wow !!!

axe4me

I'd be very cautious of instruments with a major structural repair.
The price would have to be much lower than a clean unmolested piece.

bearbeams

Thanks everyone for your replies, you saved me a bunch of time. I was going to take off work early to check the guitar out in person before hand but it's a few hours out. Seems like the consensus is it isn't worth it. The guitar is $899. I think I'm going to pass and get a nice clean one for a few hundred dollars more.

Trending Topics