Need Advice on a strat for a Les Paul Guy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Wally1, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I am a long time Les Paul and PRS User and I'm thinking of getting a good strat to add to my arsenal. I have zero experience with strats. I really like the necks and radius of my R8 and my PRS wide fats. I've looked around at all the new strat models and my head is spinning. I want a good american strat with a neck and frets similar to the guitars I'm used to. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also wouldnt mind having a humbucker at the bridge but I know this narrows my options so all models will be considered. Hopefully I can get some advice from some strat experts here!

2. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I am a "simple" man...not as in simple minded, I just like to keep things simple. So I bought an American Series Strat, nothing fancy, just three single coils. I love it. You are right, there are so many options from Fender now, I lose track of them.

For the most part, Fender necks are what they call modern "C" shaped, I consider them close to the 60's style neck of a Gibson. Most have a 9.5" radius, which won't be as flat as what you're used to. Personally I've never had much trouble switching between them and the flatter LP necks.

Some of the fancier ones have S1 switching, which adds a lot more combinations to the pickups, but I've always been happy with the five choices on a traditional Strat.

As I'm sure people will tell you, check out as many as you can, and you'll start getting a feel for what you like & don't like about them.

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Hmmm...
    Get a Tele or Nocaster.:D
    I'm a LP player too.

4. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

As a Les paul guy myself...Sean speaks the truth.

You'll like it better;)

5. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep em' coming!
    I wouldnt be against getting a tele at all. What tele would you guys recomend with big neck and flat radius like a Les Paul?

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I just built a Strat using a Warmoth 3-tone burst swamp ash body and a one piece flame maple neck with a '59 LP "round back" profile, the Warmoth 10/16 compound radius and 6150 frets. It's a great feeling neck - not as big as the "fat back", but bigger than your standard Fender neck. You might like it.

7. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I have a R8 myself and love the fat neck. You may want to consider the Eric Johnson Strat. It has many of the features that you are familiar with; nitro finish, fatter neck (not as fat as a R8, but chuncky nonetheless) and a 12" radius. It also retains all the qualities that make a Strat a Strat.

8. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

I went to Supersound Music and they had a Tyler tele hanging on the wall. I picked it up and INSTANTLY fell in love with the neck. It is a '59/slim - which is absolutely perfect....my left hand was just as at home with it as my Les Paul R9. What an awesome guitar - would have bought it but was told it was not for sale (owners personal guitar - I see why)

To go from a LP to any other guitar can be somewhat of a challenge - I'm going Tyler shopping...............now I know what all the hype is about. Their necks - 1-5/8" with gently scalloped fretboard and medium frets on a maple board.

9. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

A Nocaster will have a huge neck.
    Different carve from the D carve of your R8. It would be a U shape but,similar in thickness.
    There are a few Nocaster models that will have the modern 9.5 radius instead of the vintage 7.25 radius.
    For me I much prefer the 7.25 radius for a Tele.
    I have no issue going from my LP with a 12 to my Tele with a 7.25.
    This is just me.
    A 9.5 should be no problem for you.
    You never know,you may like the 7.25.
    Tele or Strat go play as many as you can and take it from there.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I too am a Les Paul guy from day one. I got an Allparts SRO FAT(rosewood board) and it`s about the same size as my R8. I really love it. There is an SMO FAT(maple) in the Emporium right now.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'll second that again!

I play LP and 335 Historics so I'm a fat-neck-aholic myself.
    The Nocaster fit the bill perfect for me and the '56 Relic has also worked out well

12. XKnight

XKnight Member

The SRV Strat has a very nice thick rounded neck for a Strat. I've heard it referred to as both a U or D shaped neck. Try one out and see for yourself.

13. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

at the risk of getting hit over the head for bringing it up... try a john mayer strat. slightly thicker neck than your average strat. i love mine.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

Maybe John can chime in and give us his opinion.:)

15. Grap

Grap Member

I've got a foot in the Les Paul Camp, one in the PRS camp and another in the Strat camp[1], and I'd say that sticking to basics at first would probably be the best bet. Go for a '57 or '62 RI. The necks have varied over the years so stay away from the pre-98(?) ones (or whenever it was when they revised the specs to be more "vintage correct") because the necks on those were pretty skinny if my '94 '57 RI is anything to go by.

The Clapton Sigs have got a fairly substantial V shaped neck (again, I'm basing this on my own '95 example), and for a true '58 RI Les Paul style "half a baseball bat" neck, try to find an early '90's Jeff Beck Sig. However, in the case of both of those models you may not like the rest of the packages (Lace sensors/vintage noiseless pickups, depending on the era, and active pre-amps).

1) Which is a good trick if you can pull it off ;)

16. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Just enjoy the difference, don't look for a strat that will be close to what you are used to, after all that is the whole idea... to have a completely different animal for diversity.
    I go back and forth without any problems, you will too, after a few months.

:cool: