Need advice on a Tele concept guitar.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by GiorgioV, Feb 16, 2012.

1. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Supporting Member

Hi, I need a bit of advice on a Tele build I'd like to order to a friend.

I've been missing a Tele for quite a long time, but there's a substantial number of things I'd like to change over a "normal" Tele, so that's why I never bought one after I sold my 52 RI.

Most of the things are nothing too out there, just tweaks that would make the guitar suit me a bit more, like a selector switch in the upper bout (a la John 5), two different volume pots, a LP style jack plate..

But there's one thing that raised quite a bit of doubt in a friend who's a luthier and to whom I submitted my build.

I'd like a full brazilian rosewood neck. BUT at the same time I wouldn't like to divert too much from the traditional Tele sound (I'd go for the normal scale bridge and pickup), and I don't want a guitar that's heavy and / or unbalanced.

My friend thinks the guitar would probably end up being heavy, or neck-heavy at least, and it might sounds good but quite unique.

I see Albert Lee HH, which have a rosewood neck, and they're listed as weighting slightly less than 3 kilos (6lbs,8oz) which would be perfect for me.

So my question is: is a braz rosewood neck necessairly heavy? and what to expect tone-wise compared to a maple neck?

Thanks a lot.

2. billasher

billasher Member

I have found an all rosewood neck having more density then maple will ring a bit brighter. But you can compensate for that with a custom hand wound set of pickups and by using the traditional 3 brass saddles. As far as weight, 90% of all the Brazilian I have found for necks is a bit too heavy, if you keep searching and with a little luck I have found some really light-weight pieces. I am looking for some now for a build so if you PM I will let you know if there is an extra blank I could offer you. A customer of mine had me build a replica of 1957 Fender Stratocaster in Desert Sand that Master Leo made with a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck. Mine came out great, is well balanced, and is one of my customers go-to guitars. I will look for a pic and post it later. You can see a photo of the original in the Norm's Rare Guitars Book on page 47. Also note that a no truss rod build is how Leo Fender did his and I have followed suite when building a solid rosewood neck. You just have to mill a slight relief into the board before fretting. Best of luck on your custom guitar! Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  3. GiorgioV

Thank for the reply. So lightweight Braz IS out there..

Thanks for the blank offer but since I'm in Italy I think it will be MUCH less complicated to look for the wood here ;)

Pics of the 57 Strat? I didn't consider a no truss rod build, but I guess it would be feasible since I'd be going for a pretty sustantial neck anyway.

4. stan p

stan p Member

Sounds like a very cool concept! I wonder if making it a quarter inch shorter scale something you would consider? It may also compensate for the brithness and slightly weight.

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

There's a lot of different rosewood out there. You could probably still achieve the feel and sonic properties that would drive you in the direction of rosewood without using Brazilian.

6. GiorgioV

Different rosewood is one of the ideas that came up with my friend. I guess it's a feasible option, as long as it's dark rosewood, and lighter pieces should be easier to come by.

A shorter scale would be cool but I really don't want to differentiate from the basic "feel" of a Tele.

7. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I have a t-style partscaster with a solid IRW neck with ebony board on an alder body. No neck dive because the body is fairly heavy--total weght about 8.5 pounds. Tonewise it is a little bright but has huge bawls too, so just roll off the tone a little, or set amp up dark, and you're good to go. Still sounds like a tele, but big and sustainy. HTH