Need advice on brighter pickups for Suhr Pro Series guitar?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rhollyday, Jun 13, 2006.

1. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Folks:

I could use some help in selecting some brighter pickups for my Suhr Pro Series guitar.

I had purchased a new Suhr Pro Series Guitar ealier this year, shortly after NAMM. While I am really happy, for the most part with this instrument, I do think the stock V60LP pickups on the neck and middle positions are a little too dark. I have made this judgement after playing through 4-5 amps including a Victoria Soul Cactus, Bandmaster Tweed clone (Headstrong), a Carr Slant v6 and a Carr Hammerhead. I also play a Suhr Classic blond T.

I attempt to play a combination of Classic rock, country rock (early outlaws, eagles, Clapton, SOn Volt, ect.), and now am learning more of that nashville sound.

Larry at Soul Cactus (A really nice guy!) suggested the Lollar Blonds. Also, I had been researching the regular Suhr V60's as I heard they are a little brighter than the V60LP's.

I could use some other opinions though.

2. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I would email Ed/John at Suhr and get a suggestion. They also make a 50's strat pickup.

Ray

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I understand Suhr's V54's are just the ticket for those who think the V60LP's are too dark.

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

On the Suhr discussion board, John has mentioned the V54's as being a little brighter than the V60's.

5. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I swapped a V60lp for a 54 in my Suhr T style and have to say I didn't find the 54 brighter per se. The V60lp sounded like a vintage strat pick up to me... like a Fralin but a touch fuller and warmer, and the 54 sounded like a CS fat 50's pickup but not as overwound... a very sweet top end.

YMMV, ect, ect...

Ray

6. rhollyday

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will discuss the V54's with Suhr as a possible option.

Also, just wondering if anyone has compaired the V60's against the V60lp's, or against Lollar Blonds?

7. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

V60LP with VG300 bridge and it's too dark? hmm...

8. rhollyday

I know that tone is a somewhat subjective thing, but to my ears, this guitar with its rosewood neck is slightly muddy and dark sounding. I prefer the sound of my other strat like guitar, a G&L George Fulerton model which has more of a 50's style pickups and sounds clearer and brigher. But each to his own.

9. rhollyday

Thanks for ther tip about the load resistor. I will try that. The amps I'm currently using are:

Soulcactus (Victoriette with 2 10's)
    Carr Hammerhead
    Headstrong Tweed Bandmaster clone

10. rhollyday

Note:

My Guitar teacher said my action is too low and by raising it would improve the tone of the pickups.

11. rhollyday

I have now saved this guitar from the trading block. I adjusted the action and raised the pickup height.(They were way too low!).

What a difference in sound. My Pro Series is now a keeper!

Thanks

12. lbw

lbw Member

Pickup height makes an amazing difference to the tone of the pickup. It's always the first thing I suggest to people when asked about changing pickups.

Some manufacturers pickups (PRS in particular) can have completely different personalities with even the slighest adjustments. It's really satisfying when spend some time tweaking with pickup height and get it just right.

The general rule is:

lower - warmer tone, lower output
    higher - brighter tone, higher output

You should also stagger the height of your pickup slightly to compensate for the string diameter (and tuning). That means treble side is higher than the bass side slightly.

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Low action can be a real treble killer. Hell, it can also be a real bass killer. There is a point in the action where the string just begins to 'sing' - that's where I like the tone of the guitar.

Unfortunately, that point is about half a 'click' higher than my fingers like the action. In the Gibson and PRS guitars that's fine, and I don't have much trouble with Teles, but Strats still beguile me. When they sound good to me, the action's too high. When the actions right for me, there's not treble or sustain.

The story of my life (GRIN).

Dana O.

14. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Usually t'other way around on every Strat I've ever seen/played.

15. lbw

lbw Member

Sorry, I actually meant the other way around (as I said you need to compensate for the diameter of the string and the bass strings are larger than the treble). I had a temporary lack of conciousness! Woops! :jo

I'll go back and edit my post to reduce any confusion.

D'oh!