Need advice on creating a stereo volume control

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by dogeatswall, Dec 21, 2017.

1. dogeatswall

dogeatswall Member

I would like to create a "volume pedal" for my synthesizer that uses a knob instead of a foot pedal. What do I need to make this? I assume I need an audio taper stereo potentiometer, but which value? I would like 1/4" mono ins and outs for the R and L channels to use in front of stereo effect pedals. Any advice or direction appreciated!

The purpose is to create volume swells similar to what's done with a guitar and volume pedal. I can do it with the volume knob on my synth, but would prefer to have an external knob to do this.

2. Devnor

Devnor Member

Bunch of different ways to do this. You could put a pot in an enclosure, wire that back to the pedal input on your synth assigned to volume. You could use an knobby midi box, send the CC value. I think Avid makes a stereo volume controller ($99).

dogeatswall likes this.
  3. stevel

stevel Member

Wait - are you doing this with your hand then?

Many synths use a CV (control voltage, voltage control) input for Pedals (volume, expression, sustain, etc.). You could just use a knob similarly - I imagine you could buy an actual keyboard volume pedal and gut it, rehouse it on something you could mount within arm's reach.

The advantage to doing it this way is that you don't need to do it in stereo at the output lines of the synth. It's basically working like your typical CV expression pedal (and the other cool thing is you can usually assign this on a patch per patch basis, so on one sound you could use this knob for volume, but on another it could be tremolo speed, or filter, etc.).

Otherwise what's coming out the output jacks is line level. I'm sure they make stereo volume pedals where you can run dual in and dual out on to the effects pedals. Lot of copper weight there but if that's what you want to do, that's how you'd do it. Ernie Ball and Roland/Boss both have versions:

Boss FV-500L
    Ernie Ball - 25K

dogeatswall likes this.
  4. dogeatswall

dogeatswall Member

I should specify that my main purpose for this is going from the headphone out jack of the OP-1 synth into various effects pedals. Thanks for the tips! Maybe making one is more complicated than I imagined.

5. dogeatswall

dogeatswall Member

6. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

If all you need is one passive stereo input and one stereo output, I love the TC Electronics Volume Pilot. Heavy and elegant, it feels great in your fingers and turns as if it is smoothly geared. One black cord comes out the back, and after a long run it breaks out into two XLR inputs and two XLR outputs. Completely passive, doesn't color sound, never needs a new battery, no plastic. You can get them for 90 bucks everywhere, but my pals at Full Compass Systems have a return they'll sell you for $67 and change. This is what I use in my ITB studio to control monitor volume.

[​IMG]

dogeatswall likes this.