need advice on crunchbox replacement.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hellhound79, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hellhound79

hellhound79 Member

the crunchbox is pretty cool but just does not do it for me. so i am looking for a replacement. i need something that can get more gain if needed. i do alot of covers and the crunchbox falls alittle short. for the most part the amount of gain i use is along the lines of alice in chains. but sometimes i need to get into pantera type gain. i also down tune sometimes. i would just boost the crunchbox but i have to switch pretty fast sometimes. i have been told to check out the xotic bb plus. since i can turn it side ways and step on both switches at once. but i am not sure i want to drop that much on a pedal that i can not try first. if anyone has any suggestions they would help out.

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

Hmmm...more gain...look at the EHX Metal Muff, Zvex Box of Metal, Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem...

3. Burgs

Burgs Member

Check out the Wampler Pinnacle II or MI Audio's Tube Zone. The Pinnacle lives in Crunch Box territory (brown sound) but has a more versatile tone section, better headroom (IMHO) and a boost to take you even further into saturation.

The Tube Zone will take you right into cranked Boogie world but also does a great medium drive. Warning: 6 knobs on the TZ offer a ton of versatility but take some getting used to.

4. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

The BB+ is an excellent high gain pedal,, even more so than the original BB. But if your going to play some Pantera its not going to do that.
    Try the Metal Muff. That may do it for you.

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

crunchbox gets excellent alice in chain tone...
    but for pantera or metallica an EH metal muff is what you want...the boss metal zone is also a nice pedal, but the muff has better tone control...you can add or cut mids, and it has a treble boost for solo's...but the muff is too much for AIC or oher hard rock gain

i would not replace the crunch, just add the muff...

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Pantera, pantera

boss metalzone, very cheap SS amp, something that sounds very cheap, mmmm, let's see, er
    yeah, definitely, something cheap.

7. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

For those sounds, Metal Muff absolutely. Very underrated production pedal, incredibly tight with a very flexible EQ. I'm not a heavy player so I sold it, but I've listened to a lot of Pantera and Alice in Chains in my day and that pedal did it really well and didn't cost much. Simply crank the bass for both, scoop the mids for Pantera and bring them up a little past halfway for AIC.

8. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

I'd have to agree with this sentiment. I play a lot of hard rock covers including AIC and the Crunchbox nails it everytime. Adding another pedal to the mix is definitely the way to go, I was thinking of doing the same actually.

9. cube

cube Member

metal zone should get ya in the park of pantera

10. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

12. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

MXR DoubleShot Distortio
    T Rex Bloody Mary

Those two will do Pantera like crunch very well.

13. wavey63

wavey63 Member

You could almost get a used Crate amp on eBay for tye sameprice as most of those pedals and would be as close to the real thing as you could get. Solid state is the way you want to go....

14. hellhound79

hellhound79 Member

i will check out all of the suggestions. i don't need the pantera type of gain for 95% of the time. most of the time alice in chains is about as heavy as it gets for me. the crunch box does do it pretty well it just lacks something to me. it could be my setup. i am running a dr.z carmen ghia through a bogner os 2x12 with greenback clones.

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Most versatile option for me is the Diamond fireburst. Can definitely do metal, and can also hit all the Crunchbox tones also.

16. IRG

IRG Member

The BB+ would get you there I think. Haven't heard it yet, but I would check out the new Hard WIre metal pedal, their new stuff is pretty solid from what I'm hearing, and not that expensive either.

17. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Mmmm, for higher gain than the crunch box... you ought to look for a Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800. It was a lot tighter, more defined, and can cut better than the Crunch Box. At least in a live setting with my rig.

18. guitarcec

guitarcec Member

could have something to do with the greenbacks...g12m's, right? they have a good amount of mids - not a ton of low end. the g12h's can handle more lows, right? maybe try them out...

19. hellhound79

hellhound79 Member

i have the warehouse speakers green berets. they work for my sound alot better than the vintage 30's i had. low end does not seem to be a problem if anything i get too much sometimes.

20. nuthinew

nuthinew Member

If your just looking for Pantera in a box the MXR DIme pedal DD11 does it spot on. A friend of mine brought one over along with the Dean razorback that had the Seymour Duncan DIme pickup in it and It was exactly the sound on any of their records, even though my amps don't usually get that tone at all.