Need advice on Fender combos...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Nov 24, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

So if you played '80s "cock rock" and classic rock like Queen, Grand Funk, Doobie Bros, Led Zeppeling, etc... and you wanted to get a Fender amp to use with pedals for these styles, which would you get?

I think I've narrowed it down to a new '59 Bassman LTD or a Custom Vibrolux Reverb.

Any opinions?

Just to give you a little background, I recently bought a new Vox AC30CC2 and fell totally in love with it. However, I just noticed the effects loop isn't working properly. Since I'm in my 30 day grace window, I'm just returning it. I'd like to exchange it for another one, but I'm kinda worried about their reliability now. :(

So that's why I'm looking at other combos, mainly Fender.

Chris

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Personally, I'd get a new AC30CC2 and forego the Fender. The sounds you described above can easily be had without pedals with the Vox.

Yes, they've had a bit of a shaky start with their new facility, but their customer service is the best in the biz (for a large manufacturer, that is) and their tone is amazing. Get a new one -- they've already made improvements (including new Tung Sol preamp tubes instead of the cheap Chinese ones they used initially.)

Either that, or do what I did -- I ordered a Hayseed 30 AC30 clone from Valvetech Amps. You can get a hand-built, point-to-point AC30 clone for only a couple of hundred more than a stock AC30CC2. The catch is, there's a three-month wait.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I do have a new one with the new Tung Sol tubes. It sounds killer and can achieve the tones I described bigtime. I absolutely love the amp and just decided to keep it for sure this past weekend. Then the effects loop messed up and that has me kinda bummed. That's why I was thinking about returning it and going for something else. I absolutely LOVE the tone from the AC30CC2, though.

Chris

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm a big fan of the Deluxe and Twin Reverbs. Great cleans, versatility (reverb/trem. on seperate switchable channel), lots of power, and a very managable size. They react beautifully to all of my pedals, are great buys, and quite roadworthy. Haven't yet heard the song they don't sound great with, assuming the right mix of effects. AC

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Do you use the FX loop? Unless you have rack-mounted FX, you may as well use them in-line.

Either that, or have them fix or replace the amp. If you love the sound, you love the sound... you won't get it from a Fender.

The Bassman is a great circuit, but those four tens just don't sound like a pair of twelves. The only Fender I've tried recently that could hold a candle to the Vox is the new '57 low-power Twin reissue -- but that's twice the price of the Vox.

Besides -- your new amp is under warranty. Use it. Most of them are just fine. You just got a bad one, that's all. Again, it's the sound. It's those EL84s running at the limit. A Fender won't sound like that.

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Yes, I use the effects loop. In the case of the Vox, I like to use the amps distortion and I don't like delay before the amps distortion. So yeah, I run delay in the loop.

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading out now, but please feel free to shoot more ideas in this thread. I'll read it later this afternoon.

As far as the warranty goes, I can either get this one fixed or swap it for a new one. The latter is much faster.

Chris

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

EL84 amps are unique. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. If you love 'em (and it sounds like you do), nothing else comes close. And the grandaddy of 'em all is the AC30.

Trust your feelings, young Skywalker... :cool:

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Fender? I'd get a used BF Bassman head......something in the year 1965-67 range. No loop but Holy Smokeroonies Batman does it ever sound good with a couple of pedals!

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Actually, if you're hell-bent on a Fender, that's a pretty good idea. BF Bassmans can still be had relatively cheap.

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

About the AC30cc heads, is it true you have to take the chassis out to change tubes?

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

If they're anything like the combos, yes.

12. WildHawk

WildHawk Member

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys. I'm confused. I definitely do love the tone from this AC30CC2. I could either get the loop fixed or swap it for a new one. I could also upgrade to the head/2x12" cab combination. That's another option.

Hmmmm... I suppose you guys are right. I don't think I'd dig a Fender, to be honest. The tone I'm digging is right here in this AC30.

Decisions, decisions...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris

14. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

Yes for the AC30CC heads you have to slide out the chassis to get at the tubes. This involves removing 4 bolts from the underside of the chassis, as well as removing the back panel...It doesnt really take too long - but would want to have to do it in the middle of a gig...

-- Barr

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

Plus, with the head, you don't have to deal with a soldered (and short!) speaker connection! Piece of cake!

16. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Actually the Vibrolux Custom is a good amp for those styles ( and much lighter than an AC30 ) It's not a true reissue and has more crunch than the original.I would change the speakers to Weber silver 10's( I happen to have 2 for sale ) and put a pair of JJ 6L6GC's in it.

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

The Vibrolux Custom is nice. Not a lot of headroom though. The AC30 is way louder IMO.

taco

18. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a CS Vibrolux at the moment. It couldn't be more different than an AC30 if it were a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier. It's quite noisy and a little thin-sounding. Though, with my Tele, it does sound divine for spanky clean country tones.

For the type of music he was talking, the Vox is the only way to go (or an old-school Marshall of some sort, like a Blues Breaker or JTM45).

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I've decided to take the amp back and swap it for the other AC30CC2 they have in stock.

Next Monday is my 30 day limit at Guitar Center, so I'm fine doing it tomorrow. Do you guys know if they'll have any problems swapping it out for a new one? I mean, I can see them telling me to get it fixed under warranty instead of letting me swap it out, but I'm pretty sure they allow a swap no questions asked.

Has anyone done this?

Chris

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Actually, I just read the following on the back of the receipt:

"Products that are defective may be exchanged for an identical product without the assessment of a restocking fee."

Woohoo... :)