need advice on fretting hand technique...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by TRIODEROB, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

any advice on perfecting fretting hand technique?

I feel like my technique is not ultra "efficient"

would like to get to the point where I am using the absolute
    minimum of wasted energy and finger movement.

any advice?

2. ?&!

?&! Member

The best thing I've found is the "1234" exercise and it's permutations. It's like push-ups for your fretting hand. Use a metronome, start slowly, and concentrate on playing smoothly and evenly. This is also a killer alternate picking exercise (don't for get to do it 3-notes per string also, so you practice hitting every other string with an upstroke). I would do it strictly for about 15 minutes as a warm up when I was in my teenage-practice-8-hours-a-day phase. If I messed up, I would start over at the first fret. Once I could go from 1st fret to 12th fret and back with no mistakes, I would bump the metronome up a little bit. It's all muscle memory and left/right hand coordination. The only time I ever do this one now is when I'm showing it to a student, and I can still rip right through it because of the accumulated time I spent on it. Good luck!!!

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Look at Petrucci's "Rock Discipline". It contains heaps of great exercises to develop right/left technique and co-ordination.

4. ?&!

?&! Member

I can't stand that guy's playing, but as far as pure guitar athleticism goes, he's pretty much the top of the heap. That video gets an A+ for technique development, and it's a great suggestion.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I actually picked up the book from GC as well, which has all the fiddly arps and etudes in it.
    I've also been doing stick control exercises for drums larely, and my left/right co-ordination has picked up heaps, not sure if that's responsible or not.
    JAzz III pick too, red ones are faster !!

6. JonR

JonR Member

Essentially it begins with classical position - which was designed purely for those reasons (economy of energy and movement):
    elbow at right angles;
    forearm at right angles to neck;
    wrist straight;
    thumb on back (opposite where middle finger will come down);
    fingers parallel to frets (if laid across them);
    one finger per fret (subject to index or pinky stretching back or up one fret for certain scale patterns);
    fingers always curled over strings, a few mm above them, ready to go wherever.
    (In any one position, each finger only moves across from string to string on the same fret, not up or down the neck; except for those occasional stretches by index or pinky for an additional fret.)

Start from there for any string or scale exercise, in any position on the neck.

It may not be a position you will want to stick with in practice, in real music - which may require more movement, or different hand positions - but it's an important foundation position to begin from and return to.

7. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Yep. :dude This guy knows what he is talking about.