Need advice on horn section...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nuclearfishin, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

After a bit of a search, our band finally picked up some horns which we are going to work into the rotation with our "Tower of Power." We'll have 2 trumpets, an alto sax, tenor sax, and trombone. We're really looking forward to adding an entirely new dimension to the band. Does anybody have any experience working with horn sections in a classic rock/R&B/funk band? Any tips on setup? micing? practice? mixing? As for the parts themselves, we're all great readers and have the full horn parts to the music, it's just a matter of trying to figure out how run the practices, etc. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers!

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Get people who practice regularly and can play. That's number 1 on the list.

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

My experience with a Horn Section was interesting, as they were a bit high maintenance IMO. They usually need Charts and very specific direction, so hopefully you've got that covered.

We'd have separate Horn Section practices, then meet when they had the arrangements down. Obviously practice space will be at a premium, as it can get loud with 5 horn players. We'd always set up and practice like we would at a gig, so we could get a feel for the added dynamics of having a horn section.

Most of our gigs were in smaller clubs, so the horns didn't need mics. However we would set up one mic on the front of the stage for solos. Otherwise, a couple of AKG C-1000's worked nicely for the bigger venues.

4. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

:agree For economy purposes I never went beyond 3 - trumpet, tenor and bari sax. Man I love that bari ! Trombone never gave us that bottom end like the bari did. Watch Letterman's band - the trombone doubles on bari

5. p19978

p19978 Member

My advice: fire them all except the sax player. You'll thank me later.