Need advice on how I can do this

cisspcism

I have one of these and I need to be able to drill some more holes into it. I don't have any tools other than a hand drill and I tried drilling a hole into a Gator 2u rack drawer and couldn't do it.

Do I actually have to have some kind of expensive drill press? How can one cheaply add some holes for some more switches and jacks?

dewey decibel

You need a step bit:

Tap a point on the case where you want to start, maybe tape the bit a size higher off so you don't go too big.

Gold Supporting Member
Tapping a starting point as Dewey mentioned is very important. In a pinch you can just set the tip of a pointy phillips screwdriver where you want the hole to be and give a quick tap on the handle with a hammer. That creates a tiny dent in the case where the bit will sit and not wander.

If you don't have any step bits you can just start with your smallest bit and slowly work your way up to the size you need. Take your time and don't force it.

I use a hand drill to drill enclosures. I just use a regular bit. And a punch.
3mm LED Bezel - 15/64
5mm LED Bezel - 21/64

5mm LED 13/64
3mm 1/8

In/Out Jack 3/8
3PDT 15/32
DC Jack 1/2
Pot 9/32

RambleFX

Punch. Drill pilot hole. Enlarge the hole. The punch leaves a little divot and keeps the pilot hole drill bit from wandering. The step drill bit is what allows you to hand drill it. Without a step drill bit, you'd really want to use a vice and drill press. If you are drilling many holes, a drop of light machine oil will keep the drill bit from wearing out quickly.

Trending Topics