Need Advice on Les Paul

calieng

Just got this 2015 True Historic HS9 Stinger in. Need some advice. It sounds really good with the Burstbuckers (came that way stock). But I really think zebras would look good. I've got a set of Lindy Fralin Pure PAF Zebras. Should I got for it? Also - pick guard install or no?

Props to the Great Great House of Guitars for sending me this fine axe.

21607202586_5454a8febd_o.jpg

Last edited:

JBid

The fralins should sound fine. I'm a "pickguard on your Lester" kind of guy (even though I had it off of my r9 for the avatar photo.:)).

calieng

Man.. Just leave it as is, that's looks killer..

Thanks!

But the Zebras would look better don't you think?

Was not sure about the pick guard because I would need to drill the holes but the pickups can be put back easily enough.

bkatx

Ya there's nothing I'd do to improve that guitar cosmetically, it's looks gorgeous. If you don't like the Burstbuckers tone though give the Fralins a shot. Congrats BTW, I'm jealous :D

calieng

Ya there's nothing I'd do to improve that guitar cosmetically, it's looks gorgeous. If you don't like the Burstbuckers tone though give the Fralins a shot. Congrats BTW, I'm jealous :D

Thanks! If you came across some of my other recent posts you would see I have been liquidating my guitar collection to get a few of these Lesters. I decided a couple nice ones was better than a whole bunch of other guitars.

Here's another one that is still for sale that came stock with zebras and no pick guard. What do you think compared to the nickel covers?

21012593884_8248798f5b_o.jpg

sixstringfuel

Hotdogs kill
Gold Supporting Member
I like the look better with the covers and
Plus pickguard keeps it from getting scratched up great to look at without pickgaurd though

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks!

But the Zebras would look better don't you think?

Was not sure about the pick guard because I would need to drill the holes but the pickups can be put back easily enough.

Yeah I think it's a preference thing.. I do like the zebra humbuckers don't get me wrong, but I personally like the chrome better on that specific LP, but again, that's just me.. either way, it's would still look KILLER!!! Congrats my friend...

I prefer zebra covers with a plain top or an opaque finish. With a flametop like that, the zebra covers just make it look too "busy" to me. Chrome looks classy. Also, keep the pickguard on! Be a rebel!

MRscratch

any light coloured One, i like double creams!! on darker bourbons and such, zebras. of course i still like the regular nickels

Wmacky

Well if you asking for opinions:

Chrome, or double cremes for me. Hate Zebras, and double blacks on LP's. Looks less classy......

Tim Plains

Pickguard on...always. I think LPs look cheap without them.

You already have the pickups and you are obviously curious to see what it looks like (and I assume sounds like) with them. Why don't you just install them? What do you have to lose? Broken solder joints?

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
I would go with the zebras and a pick guard, but not the stock 1-ply creme; get a black/creme/black. Unless the holes aren't already drilled. If they aren't I'd go without.

cap10kirk

Just me, but I like the look of Les Pauls better with nickel covers on the pickups. I'd only change them if you're unhappy with the stock pups, but I'd still change them to something with nickel covers. But that's just my opinion.
As far as the pickguard goes, if my gold top didn't have the holes drilled, I wouldn't have a pickguard on it. But the open holes bother me more than having a pickguard, so I left it on. If yours doesn't have the holes drilled already, I'd leave it as is. If it has holes, throw the guard on.
That guitar looks great as is.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom