• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Need advice on overdrive/distortion pedal

Ouchz

I'm currently using a fender strat into a blackheart little giant 5 watts amp. I'm searching for a versatile overdrive/distortion pedal that can cover grounds from blues, rock to metal. This pedal will be my main "dirt" channel as my amp doesn't have any gain channel.

I was thinking maybe a BB plus could do the job. Could anyone give me some feedback on the BB plus and also some recommendation.

Ouchz

Cool... anymore suggestions? It would be nice if some of you guys can contribute by stating what pedals you use and stack them with...

Ouchz

I tried the crunchbox and find that it can do the marshall sound quite well but it can't do light gain. Also tried the tubezone but it has this dark tone and a nasal compressed tone that I didn't like. I tried the OCD as well and I liked how it responded to my playing but somehow it's gain wasn't my kind of thing.

Anyone tried the BB plus, would love to hear comments on that. Thanks ibzmav, I'll be looking into it (checking clips on youtube now).

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
You may want to consider a dual channel overdrive pedal, such as the Jetter GS3 or a Blackstone. Very versatile, will give you some mild dirt for rhythm and higher gain if desired for leads.

imguitardan

If you liked the touch sensitivity of the OCD...you should look into the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.

http://www.catalinbread.com/DLS.html

I haven't gotten one yet but it looks amazing and the price is right.

If you play a 5 watt amp, it'll probably breakup well when pushed, so I'd look for a med gain OD and if you need more girth, put a Treble Booster in front of it (they really sound great on an amp that's cooking).

I use a Skreddy Screw Driver and it is VERY touch responsive and very versatile...however, this is a MEAN TONE MONSTER. If you want something that is responsive and chewy with a variable gain range and that is THICK...look into a Screw Driver.
http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_screwdriver.htm
I recommended the DLS because it seems a little more "polite".

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I'm currently using a fender strat into a blackheart little giant 5 watts amp. I'm searching for a versatile overdrive/distortion pedal that can cover grounds from blues, rock to metal. This pedal will be my main "dirt" channel as my amp doesn't have any gain channel.

I was thinking maybe a BB plus could do the job. Could anyone give me some feedback on the BB plus and also some recommendation.

This pedal does all of the above, great pedal and cleans up nicely in any gain range!

Bobster

hmm, an od that covers blues rock and metal? Sorry bro, its a pretty hard one to find.. The range is too wide and there probably isnt any one worth mentioning currently..

capnrock

Silver Supporting Member
A rat? Or a rat-style clone?
Brown Rabbit
Chupacabra
BYOC

A rat can do blues rock at low settings and 80's metal at high settings.

Ouchz

The catalinbread DLS sounds pretty impressive on youtube and the skreddy screwdriver seems to have a 4 months waiting time.

imguitardan: how does the skreddy screwdriver stack and react with other pedals (eg, booster)?

bobster: I think you're right on this. I'll probably get a main distortion/overdrive pedal for those rock tones 1st and then expand the drive tonal palette with other booster and such.

Anyone has any idea whether the catalinbread DLS is a true bypass pedal?

I'm actually pretty new to pedals, I was using those all-in-one amps with effects (the cube 30x) previously. Thanks guys for the input.

Trending Topics