Need Advice On Selling A Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by binge, Feb 5, 2012.

1. binge

binge Member

I'm trying to shift a guitar and I can't get rid of it and I need advice!

In the past I never had any problems getting rid of my guitars on eBay or gumtreem (like a UK Craigslist).

I had one on eBay and it didn't sell so I relisted and it didn't sell again. I have it on Gumtree and a few local, UK based forums. No movement at all. Very, very little interest. Even in the past, if the price was too high, I would have got people emailing me trying to hook up a deal. Nothing like that now.

Any ideas? I purposely haven't mentioned any specifics about the guitar as I don't want to risk breaking any rules - I don't want to be seen as if I'm trying to sell the guitar via this forum instead of the Emporium section.

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

If it didn't sell on eBay:

1. the price was probably too high, or
    2. the right buyer hasn't come along.

Look at eBay completed auctions and see what comparable guitars are selling for (actually selling, not asking prices - look for prices in green, not red).

If you have something really unique, it might be hard to find the right buyer. If you have something that is readily available, then you are pretty much in a pricing game.

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

It's a tough market. I finally sold the last guitar I had to unload here a little while ago. I had it up on TGP's emporium 3 times, only the third time did I find a buyer. It took time, but it finally happened.

I also had an amp up and it took a while to move, too. (It was more universally popular than the guitar was).

Both were for less than I would have liked. The market is depressed right now, and the first two months after Christmas (at least in the US) are TOUGH times to sell anyway.

Also, at least in the US, trades are way easier.

4. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

Kinda depends on what you're trying to unload.

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Seems like it's hard to sell anything right now unless it's a flavor of the month piece, or is at a ridiculously low price.

6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The market for guitars is not great at the moment,

7. dazco

dazco Member

yeah, it's the market right now. Probably due in part to the fact there are so many great guitars available new for next to nothing. I have had several guitars listed for the last year or more and it took that long to sell 2 of them and i still have a couple ! The economy in the US right now is bad, but i really think it has more to do with the huge amount of great cheap guitars in the stores today.