Need advice on what I need for iPad setup, please.

crispsandwich

Hello,

I sold my Axe FX II recently. It is an incredible unit, but I felt I was getting into the endless FW updates cycle and spending too much time tweaking. I played through a Blackstar ID:60 recently and was struck by a) how good it sounded/felt and b) how I spend more time tweaking than playing.

So, I still have my studio monitors but have no audio interface.

I am thinking of going to iPad route, and downloading something like JamUp and Bias.

What would I need? I know nothing about iPads, I am tempted to just buy a 4th gen version but if a 3rd or 2nd gen version would suffice then I may just get one of those and save some cash. I want to buy an iPad anyway for things like Netflix and music so I wouldn't be buying it just for guitar.

I would presumably also need something to connect the guitar to the iPad and then the iPad to my monitors/mixer.

What would I need to buy?

Cheers.

Michi

Hey,

I'm very much in the same boat, although I didn't have an AFX II to sell :D but almost all else applies.

The way I figured the iPad situation is I'll get the iPad mini with Retina because it's got the latest 64bit A7 chip, for future apps and enough horsepower for the time being (at least that's how I justify it to myself haha!).

As for the interface, I myself would need a good interface with midi in capability to be able to use it live right away. I already have a midi pc capable fs in the Pod HD500, so I won't NEED to get a bluetooth fs...GAS... and the HD500 would double as a backup rig as well.

I've been torn between the IK Multimedia iRig PRO and the Griffin Studio Connect w/ lighting. The price difference between the two is really small though, but hauling the Griffin with me to gigs is what has held me back so far.

There are loads of good and better options to choose from IMO. The problem with me is I don't have ANY shop within abt 200 miles to go and test the interfaces so I'm gonna get one or the other based on features and what experiences other users have posted...

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
I have the iPad 3 and use the following, but there are many things on the market you can use..

I use the line 6 sonic port. The one side connects directly to the 30 pin connection (if you have the newer one it has an cord for that as well )

On the sonic port, I connect my guitar with a standard 1/4 cable.

It also has 1/4 out and I go into my focusrite scarlet USB interface 1/4 input. My focusrite outs to my powered monitors . I also have my laptop connected to the audio interface via the USB port.

Works very well... There are other products to do this, but I already owned the focusrite , so it works great for me...

Ps, an added benefit to using the line 6 sonic port, is you have access to the line 6 mobile pod ( which is free download at the App Store , and the only way to play that app... Very cool app too )

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 3G 64MB Gen 3 iPad.

Presently I have both a Line6 Sonic Port & a IKMM iRig Pro, which both have features the other doesn't. (More Below)

For Apps I use AmpliTube, Bias/JamUp & L6 Mobile Pod.

I also have an the Audiobus App which allows me to connect a variety of Amp/FX/Music Comp Apps into Audiobus compliant DAWs like Auria or Garageband.

As for the Sonic Port/iRig Pro Comparison:

L6 Sonic Port Advantages:
- Seperate Line In Jack
- Seperate Line Out Jack
- Headphone Jack
- Runs L6 Mobile Pod (Jerry was right only L6 MobileIn & Sonic Port can run Mobile Pod)

IK iRigPro Adavantages
- XLR Input
- Phantom Power Avaiklable for Condensor Mic
- Gain Control Knob on iRig itself

IMO L6 Mobile POD has the best Amp Models, it has a) no Overdrive Pedals and b) No availability to purchase add on pedals or amplifiers.

Bias (Full Version) has the best selection of Amps, while AmpliTube has a good selection of Amps you can purchase from their In-App Store.

Effects - None of the 3 has a large number of pedals in their base Apps, AmpliTube has the widest selection of pedals for purchase from their In-App Store. From an OD Standpoint both AmpliTube & JamUp have good Tubescreamer Models in the base app which work for me & my style.

Last edited:

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I would recommend anyone with a new iOS device get a 30 pin to lightning adapter and a camera kit and be done with it. That way you have flexibility and don't have to whine later about the extra cost.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
For serious music use an interface that uses the earphone jack is not good. Far too noisy. Most of the newer ones have moved away from that.
Second thing to consider is charging the battery while connected. Since the good hardware uses the only connection you can charge the battery with it is best if that device can charge the iPad while it is connected otherwise you have to stop using it while you wait for the battery to get recharged...

Something like the Alessis ioDock is great. It charges the battery while it gives you all the in and out connections for instruments and mic's as well as midi.

Michi

I'm wondering...can I still use the headphone output from the iPad when I use an interface connected with lightning...?!

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
I'm wondering...can I still use the headphone output from the iPad when I use an interface connected with lightning...?!
Depends which interface you are using.....

For Instance:

- L6 Sonic: Has a Headphone Jack on the Interface, You can't use the iPad/iPhone Headphone Jack here
- IK iPro, Apogee Jam: Don't have a headhone jack on the Interface, You MUST use the iPad/iPhone Headphone Jack here.

Michi

Depends which interface you are using.....

For Instance:

- L6 Sonic: Has a Headphone Jack on the Interface, You can't use the iPad/iPhone Headphone Jack here
- IK iPro, Apogee Jam: Don't have a headhone jack on the Interface, You MUST use the iPad/iPhone Headphone Jack here.
Thx for clearing that one up!

It does raise another question: how's the headphone out volume determined in the L6?! Is it the same as the general output volume?

Sry for the q's, n00b here :).

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
It does raise another question: how's the headphone out volume determined in the L6?! Is it the same as the general output volume?
In general, there is a volume control in the App (AmpliTube/Bias/JamUp/Mobile POD) that controls the output volume to the headphones.

krueger

The iPad will accept most (all?) class compliant USB audio interfaces, using the camera connection kit or USB to lightning adapter. They usually require a powered USB hub, otherwise the iPad won't use them due to insufficient power. This can even happen if the interface is connected with a dc-adapter. So factor in a powered USB hub unless you go with an interface that is especially made for iOS. I am using a Zoom G3 as an interface this way and it works just fine. I can run the G3 off the hub power which is nice.

Check http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces for a partial list of working audio interfaces

LesCanard

There wasn't really a budget discussed but since the OP had an Axe FXII I assume it's not a huge issue. I think for IOS as well as Mac based in general the Apogee products are top notch. I currently own a Jam, One V2 for Mac/IOS and recently purchased the new Duet for Mac/IOS. All are excellent companions for the iPad, and although it's the most pricey the Duet is unbelievable. It powers the iPad which is really a great feature, and can easily record using 2 channels (guitar and Mic) as well as connect a midi controller/keyboard. If you can swing it I'd go for the Duet although the One is very good (no midi input with the One however). Once you get comfortable with the iPad for recording and playing with apps like Bias and Jamup you may want to move to an iMac or MacBook Pro which One/Duet are perfect for. I use my Duet with my MacBook Pro and it excels with Garageband and Logic. It's all so seamless, with iCloud, you can start a project on the iPad, then seamlessly pick up and carry through on a Daw like Logic or garageband on your Mac.

The other thing I've recently done is incorporate my pedals (or my Line 6 M13) between the guitar and the Duet/One and possibilities for recording or amp Sims are endless. Basically, guitar-->M13-->Duet or One--->App or Program (I.e Bias, Jamup or garageband/Logic)-->Powered monitors and you have an outstanding Sim or recording setup.

jet551

Has anyone tried the Apogee Jam 96k? How does the sound of a guitar compare to either the regular Jam or the Duet? I find that the regular Jam is a bit on the noisy side.

ridethatbike

Just a quick update (since no one ever does that):

I got an 32gb iPad Air, and it's pretty fun. I found it on CL for $450 NIB, which wasn't bad in my book. I've downloaded a few apps so far, and have REALLY been enjoying Bias and JamUp. I like the fact you can build an amp, then easily import it into JamUp, surround it with whatever pedals you want, and then save that "rig" as a preset. Seems a lot easier than using the HD500 and 11R I've had in the past.

I've also been playing with Jammit, and I love it. I wish there were some other genres as well developed as Dream Theater and Megadeth tho. There is 3 Gov't Mule tracks, which I think is sweet. There are quite a few songs, but I wouldn't expect to go in there with a song in mind and find it. That being said, there's probably 20 songs or so in there that I'd buy. I'd love it if they had some Black Keys or Jimi Hendrix or stuff like that, but it's not there yet.

Some people complain about the $4 per song, but considering how much work Line6 has to put into each track, I think that's a steal. I will mention that the tone it auto-selects is pretty dang good. I have Gov't Mule "Mule", and when I play my R4 Les Paul into it, it gets probably 94% of Warren's tone, which is a-o-k. Sometimes I'll just load it up and then noodle around on it without the backing track. I wish there was a way to download that sound into Bias, but it's two different developers.

I also got the Line 6 sonic port. I like it a lot, and it does exactly what I need it too. I don't know how it compares against the other i/o devices, but I thought I put that in here.

I'm running straight from the sonic port into my AKG K550's and don't fault the sound at all. I'm still learning how to set the levels as I occasionally get some clipped sound when I push the "amp" real hard. I'm sure I can find a solution to that pretty quickly.

Overall I'm extremely pleased, and wish I would have done that a long time ago (I only started playing about 2 years ago). I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone has questions.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
I upgraded my V3 iPad to a shiny new Air a week or so ago and it was money well spent.

I like to stack AmpKit+ & JamUp Pro using Audiobus and everything I've tried seems to work better with more horsepower.

I've been using Guitar Jack 2 but am considering something with more features like mic preamps and MIDI...

Great stuff.

I'm another who doesn't miss the AxeFx...

MKB

I've been working on a live iPad 2/Bias/Jamup rig for a few weeks now, and have run into all sorts of issues. It hasn't been easy.

First, the interface I started with, Tascam iUR2 digital 30 pin, looked promising but apparently uses far too many resources in the iPad 2. If only one app is running, it works well, but any other added app will cause glitches and crashes. Also adding any midi continuous controller with the iUR2 caused massive glitches even with one app (Jamup) operating. So if you have a iPad 2, stay away from the iUR2/iU2 as it is trouble.

I tried several earphone interfaces with the same iPad, and could easily run multiple apps with zero glitching or crashes. All 3 (iRig Stomp, Peavey Ampkit Link, Griffin connect cable) had varying degrees of tone quality, but all had the high noise level issue all earphone interfaces seem to have. The iRig Stomp sounded and worked the best, with the lowest noise level. But the noise level is nowhere as good as a high quality digital interface. The form factor and functionality of the iRig Stomp is very nice though, perfect for stage use.

The footswitch issue is a bear as well; I couldn't use any of my older midi footswitches with Jamup as it only accepts CC messages, and my footswitches output only PC messages. Positivegrid support confirmed this. I also tried a Griffin Stompbox footswitch, which worked very well within its limitations, but even that has issues (you can't turn a chorus and wah on and off separately in the same preset with the footswitch).

I would abandon this entire iPad approach except for three reasons; I have a new iPad 2 on stage for sheet music and would like to use it for modeling, the Griffin Stompbox and iRig Stomp are very cheap now (around $40 each), and the tones from Bias and Jamup are incredible.

If I was putting together a iPad/Jamup stage rig right now from scratch, I would do the following:

1) Buy the latest iPad with the most processor speed and RAM. The storage capability does not seem to be as important.

2) Find a digital interface that will provide midi as well as not burden the iPad resources too much.

3) Buy a nice versatile midi footswitch with CC pedals such as the Behringer FCB1010.

Strangely enough, from reading its midi section in the manual, a HD500 might be a perfect footswitch controller for an iPad rig, but I haven't tried it yet. I wonder if the HD500 is class compliant and would work as a digital audio interface and midi footswitch with a iPad through a camera interface/USB? Hmmmm....

4) Once the apps have the features worked out and are solid in operation, disconnect the iPad from the internet and never upgrade it again. I would be worried that Apple would force a OS upgrade in the future that would screw up the unit operation, eat up too many resources, or an app upgrade would cause issues. For example, the current Jamup upgrade has interapp sound capability added, but the interoperability with Bias has been broken.

Last edited:

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone tried the Apogee Jam 96k? How does the sound of a guitar compare to either the regular Jam or the Duet? I find that the regular Jam is a bit on the noisy side.
I use my Jam 96k daily with iPad and MBP.
Super quiet.
No issues.

As for the OP, here's all you need (I use this everyday):

iPad Air
Apogee Jam 96k

Apps:
Bias
JamUp
GarageBand