Need advice on what I need for iPad setup, please.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I've been working on a live iPad 2/Bias/Jamup rig for a few weeks now, and have run into all sorts of issues. It hasn't been easy.

4) Once the apps have the features worked out and are solid in operation, disconnect the iPad from the internet and never upgrade it again. I would be worried that Apple would force a OS upgrade in the future that would screw up the unit operation, eat up too many resources, or an app upgrade would cause issues. For example, the current Jamup upgrade has interapp sound capability added, but the interoperability with Bias has been broken.
I have to disagree and this is not good advice.
I have an iPad 1, 2, 3 and an Air.

You're having trouble because you are trying to run apps that were not designed for use on an iPad 2.
I would never expect an iPad 2 to run Bias correctly just like I wouldn't expect a
5 watt amp head to drive a 4x12 cabinet full of Celestions.
Sure you can plug it in, but it's not designed to work that way, and it's your fault for not realizing it.
You're not even running iOS 7 at it's fullest capacity because the iPad 2 can't support it.

Software/app makers create for the current and next generation of a device.
Not previous versions.
That's because you will get stuck supporting old hardware instead of pushing the boundaries. (Just look at MS who learned the hard way, and are finally cutting off legacy customers who won't update.)
If you want to run the latest apps you need the latest iPad.
Don't blame Apple or the app makers if you don't have the right iPad for the apps you want to run.

Btw - I always update my iPads to the latest version w/o any fear. There are many advantages to staying up to date including resource optimization for current and recent models.
Also BIAS & JamUp integration is not broken on my iPad Air.
Works great, was using it this AM.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
Sure you can plug it in, but it's not designed to work that way, and it's your fault for not realizing it.
You're not even running iOS 7 at it's fullest capacity because the iPad 2 can't support it.

Software/app makers create for the current and next generation of a device.
Not previous versions.
That's because you will get stuck supporting old hardware instead of pushing the boundaries. (Just look at MS who learned the hard way, and are finally cutting off legacy customers who won't update.)
If you want to run the latest apps you need the latest iPad.
Don't blame Apple or the app makers if you don't have the right iPad for the apps you want to run.
If you could, please post a link where Positivegrid or Apple or any other hardware makers I mentioned stated any of the apps or hardware or iOS 7 will not work with an iPad 2. I read all manuals and research extensively before purchasing, and I never saw a single warning that Bias or Jamup will not work with an iPad 2.

You are reinforcing my point about Apple, if what you say about apps and new iOS is for a next gen unit is true. I guess we either have to immediately buy the new iPad whenever Apple produces one, or stop upgrading our apps and iOS as soon as the system works, because the new iOS and app upgrades are not for our previous gen device (even though they force you to upgrade eventually).

mt1782

Gold Supporting Member
Btw - I always update my iPads to the latest version w/o any fear. There are many advantages to staying up to date including resource optimization for current and recent models.
Also BIAS & JamUp integration is not broken on my iPad Air.
Works great, was using it this AM.
My gen 4 ipad, and 5s are both currently broken in jamup pro. They are on current versions of jamup pro. Next time I'll be very careful when I update the apps. Positivegrid has a fix released but from what I understand that is a 7 day delay. This means I'll have to unpack the pedal board for tomorrow's rehearsal. If I was gigging with this setup I'd be really unhappy.

Trending Topics