1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice: PRS & TAG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dawgtired, Jul 2, 2008.

1. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

I currently have a 2002 PRS CE24 (humbuckers with coil tap)... I have on order a Tom Anderson Hollow Cobra (humbuckes with coil tap). It should be ready in about 4 weeks.

My question: Will I get the same basic sound from these two guitars? Or is the Anderson a completely different beast from the PRS? I play into a Rivera Jake Combo.

Advice appreciated.:)

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

+1 but anything into a Jake will sound killer!!!!;)

3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I thought TAG was back for a second!

4. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

Thanks for the info!

5. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Noticeably different. I have owned several TAG's, and found them to be totally different than my PRSi. I will be interested to hear what you think.

6. samarshll

samarshll Member

I owned a CU 24 and I own a Drop Top and had a Cobra for awhile. Distinctively different but both are/were great guitars. The PRS seemed a little brighter on the single coil pu's probably due to the longer neck. Eventually I went to all 22 fret guitars. If I get another PRS I'd get a 22 fret instrument. Sound is fuller and more resonant. I think the PRS does the humbucker dirty overdriven sound the best. The Anderson is like a super charged Strat with every pu combination you can think of and more.

7. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

Thanks for all the opinions. It looks like the consensus is that they're distinctly different.

Man, the next 4 weeks are going to be long! I'll report back when my Jack's Blue Hollow Cobra comes in.

8. omni

omni Member

Should sound basically the same unless you hand the guitars to a different player...

9. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Jacks blue is the shiznit!! :AOK

10. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a PRS CE24 w/HFS PU's & had a Tom Anderson. I think you'll get somewhat of a different tone from a hollow body woods & Anderson PU's vs mahogany/maple top.