Need advice regarding pedal usage

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daacrusher2001, Aug 19, 2008.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little new to the world of guitars/amps/effects. I've been playing for awhile, and I'm intrigued with some of the pedals I've heard.

I like my amp (Peavey Classic 30), but I've been interested in getting some new sounds from it, and was thinking pedals may be the answer.

Genres: Blues, Blues rock...some Dead, Neil Young, that kind of stuff.

I was going to buy a Boss BD-2, but I've since discovered the ToneBone pedals (British, Classic), and many others. Also interested in some of the more interesting sounds (flangers, chorus)...

My question is, do you guys typically front end your tube amps with pedals or do you use them with solid state amps like a VOX Pathfinder or something?

Just looking for some direction here....thanks!!

2. enocaster

enocaster Member

It's safe to say that over 90% of folks on this board use tube amps the majority of the time. That said, a SS amp will take pedals just as well as one with tubes.

If you are new to effects in general I'd recommend getting a used multi-effect on the cheap, simply to try out the different effect types and see what you like. The quality of each effect will not be as good as a standalone pedal, but it's nice to have a sampling to see what avenues you'd like to explore further.

That being said, a multieffects weakest area is generally the most important: overdrive, distortion and fuzz, so you might want to get a decent dirt box, too (a Bad Monkey can be had in the Emporium for ~$30). If you do your homework on pricing (ebay completed listings are good for this) and buy everything used, you can always sell pedals for close to what you paid.

There is a ton of info already on this board - the search function is your friend!! For every question I've had to publically ask, I've answered a hundred on my own using the search.

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have a classic 30 and a DRRI,,,both are 30 watts and 22 watts...tube watts...

so yeah I use pedals to get overdrive and distortion when I play in the basement...

If you have good pickups (buckers?) you dont need to spend 300-400 on overdrive...
    boss sd-1 or od-3, barber ltd and direct drive , mi audio crunch box, visual sounds jeckyll and hyde, proco ratt...marshall guvnor or jackhammer, bbe green screamer (tubescreamer clone that actually sounds good) they all sound good through a classic 30...and most for under $120 new

4. daacrusher2001

Both my guitars are single coils...strat and tele...although, I've been considering getting an SG for some variation, I don't own one yet.

I read alot about the tubescreamers and clones. The Boss pedals seem reasonably priced on eBay. I would definitely buy used...and resell what I don't like.

semi-hollowbody - you described my situation...basement playing with distortion...the dog can't handle the amp cranked up...nor can my wife and kids...well, maybe my kids can

5. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I have a Bad Monkey and a Rat on my board and yes i use them into the front end of my AC30, but they also sound pretty good into my Pathfinder for 'quiet' practice, i don't generally use modulation effects except a little chorus occasionally on clean stuff.

A Bad Monkey or a Boss OD-3 will work pretty nice with your Classic 30 for the kind of stuff you play :AOK

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

hahaha...the kids can be trained to LOVE a cranked amp...a wife, however, can NOT :)

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

A lot of cool low priced options out there. A Bad Monkey is a great pedal, but it sounds fantastic with my Roland Cube 60 (Fender Twin model) and only "pretty good" with my Marshall AVT (SS amp), which btw I think has a great clean channel.

There are a ton of choices to be had, though. Not too sure about what the Classic 30 sounds like, so can't recommend you a great pedal to go with it (although many forumites have one or have used one) Is it tube? Is it sparkling clean or does it have an inherent crunch? A BD-2 is by no means a bad choice to push an amp on the verge of breakup into dirtier (read: bluesier) territory, but the inherent gain on the BD-2 is not great. It's more great as a tool to "goose" your amp.

However, tubescreamers have been around as long as they have for a reason. A reissue TS-808 is an excellent pedal!

8. daacrusher2001

The clean on the amp is not as sparkly as maybe a fender hot rod deluxe. I also have an upgraded speaker (Texas Heat) in the amp and JJ tubes. It actually is a very nice clean sound, sort of warm, not harsh in any way and the highs are not over-exaggerated.

I've run a digitech RP250 through it, with and without amp modeling turned on...actually sounds pretty good with the VOX AC15 and 212 cabinet effects turned on. The distortion settings on the RP are ok, but I think I could do better with a pedal.

I'll poke around the forum for pedal recommendations. The proguitarshop.com website has some good demos of the pedals they sell. I thought the Tonebone Hot British was pretty cool...I may also get a Tremelo. So far I'm most impressed with the Voodoo Lab Tremelo, but I'm gonna keep looking

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use the Tonebone Hot British.... it is an awesome pedal. However, it is good for one thing: Hard Rock (or similar, such as some of the pop rock in recent years). There is no low gain on this puppy and for what you've stated (NY, GD) I don't think you want it. The Classic is more up that alley but even so I think there are a lot of other pedals out there that would do what you want much better.

10. thedroid

thedroid Member

The main point to having dirt pedals is to get overdrive at lower volumes or to switch quickly between clean and overdriven tones. I don't know anything about the tonebones, but I'd suggest you start with something more standard like a TS9, Bad Monkey, BD2, etc. You can try any of them out at most stores, even if you're going to eventually buy used.

You might also look into what effects the artists you like use. I think the signature Dead guitar sound comes from an envelope filter, for example. Neil Young just runs his amp on 10, but there are pedals -- over-the-top fuzzes and such -- that claim to approximate the sound.

Good luck.

11. daacrusher2001

Yeah...Jerry liked that Mutron pedal...

I just want to get some blues OD to start out. See how I like it. Thanks for the tip on the Hot British. Maybe I'll stay away from that one for now...

You guys have been really helpful...thanks...this is a really good forum.