Need advice:what mic for room/drums???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by vladorg, Dec 5, 2004.

1. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I know you are a helpful bunch so that's why I am asking for advice here. I'm planning on recording my new fusion trio that I just started playing with and here's the dilemma:

1.It's going to be a live rehearsal recording from the same room that we jam in

2.Bass is gonna go straight out from the bass players' preamp/DI thingy into E-MU 1820M into computer

3.I'm probably gonna slap a sm57 on my Fuchs and run the mic into the 1820m and into the PC

My question is - since we won't have enough mics to mic the drums adequately well, can you guys recommend me a good room/drum mic (relatively cheap,please) which will do a decent job of micing the drums well?Just one mic that is for the whole set!Is there such a mic,what brand/model etc.?Also,any other suggestions regarding what I could do to capture the sound better would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vlad

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hmm, one mic? might not be able to pickup the rather quiet ride.

is it possible to do two? that way, with one mic covers the hihat side and crashes, while the other mic covers the ride and its crashes for a more consistent sound.

set them up, both facing 90 degrees, x/y, right above the drummer himself, so you'll get an equal spread, and minimal phasing. also, gives you a nice big bass sound.

got dough? pair of Shure SM81's. if not, Rode NT5's are nice. and heck, you might as well use two SM57's, if you're really strapped.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

try an MXL 990, Musicians Friend sometimes has them with the shock mount for $69 with case. I wouldn't go for the 2 mic combo as I haven't heard that many great things about the little mxl mic, the shock mount is pretty beefy. I've only used the 990 on vocals and acoustic guitar, but have heard they work great with drums.

4. vladorg

Thanks joker and ted!
    Ted,where are you going to place the MXL 990 in this case?

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I would use it on a boom overhead, using someone remote with phones and ear plugs listening to the mix directing the person moving the mic for the best position. Definitely a low budget mic solution, but a lot of good records were made this way.

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I've limited myself to one two drum mics on occasion (usually for the effect - it can be a hip sound). I'm gonna break with the pack and say to stick one mic about 3-4 feet in front of the kit (closer, if you want less room). Move your head around while the drummer's playing to find the spot. This frees up a mic for the kick - most important, and very difficult to get right with overheads alone. I use an ATM25 for kick (which i learned about here, or on the old PRS forum). Unbeatable for the dough.

Audio Technica makes (made?) some great, inexpensive small diaphragm condensers which are very flattering for kit. I've got a pair, and really dig 'em for OHs, in partucular

Downside to my approach: Mono drums.

Upside: Mono drums.
    Control over kick level.

Note: If the room you're recording in sounds bad, my suggestion may suck.

7. vladorg

Ted,
    thanks a bunch,I'll definitely try the MXL990. Basso, so except for the ATM25 for the kick,what specific models do you suggest for the kit?Thanks,

Vlad

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

basso brings up a great point,

if your trio is a bit more "rock" like, you may wanna go with his suggestion, or better yet, just stick a mic right in the bass, and use the single overhead, equidistant from the ride and hihats for the most balance.