Need Advise for using Metronome

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by AndyFender, Feb 19, 2008.

1. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

Finally broke down and purchased a Metronome Boss DB-90. Unfortunately in the years I have been playing I never used one. After reading and chatting with folks who highly recommend them I bought one. My questions is, are their some good videos on the net I can use to kind of get me starting on the right path? I am also using Tomo’s AYGP dvd. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Nice metronome! Tomo's vid should have enough to get you started. If you think the click on 2&4 is too hard right now, just do the click on the quarter note (1, 2, 3, 4). Between that and the 2&4 click, it's just a matter of spending the time working to it on material you already know and on material you are learning/trying to work up to speed. Don't be afraid to slow everything WAY down until you get the hang of it. It's about practicing, not looking cool. ;)

My rule of thumb is if I'm learning new notes that I can't play in succession, or am studying some type of theory thing, the metronome is off until I can play the new notes steadily in succession. Then I turn the metronome on to practice the new notes with a good time/feel. All other times (when practicing or reading music) the metronome is on.

3. The Captain

The Captain Member

Not sure why buying a metronome can be seen as any kind of "breakdown".
    A metronome is right up there with pick, fingers, guitar and tuner in terms of basic importance.
    If you finally "broke down", then your playing is "finally" going to get a massive boost.

4. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

You misunderstood, by saying broke down I meant I finally took the plunge and bought one!

5. johnboho

johnboho Member

6. Dana

Dana Guest

First, I'd suggest learning to play a simple progression with the metronome clicking on beats '2' and '4', like the way Tomo does in the intro to AYGP.

Don't worry about trying to go through all the styles like he does, if you can play 4 choruses using a simple 3 chord blues without getting away from the metronome that would be a good first step.

If this is too hard, start with the metronome clicking on all 4 beats. Once you get comfortable, try moving it to beats 2 and 4 only.

Good luck.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

8. The Captain

The Captain Member

I wondered what that would be.
    It's a good description, but I thought that would have been obvious, ie the bit about covering the beat and making it disappear.
    Nice write up though. It messes with my head, in a good way, when I am doing a very fast exercise and the beat disappears.

9. Onswah

Onswah Member

One trick with a metronome that honestly helped me get really comfortable with it was to turn it on and set it so it is playing beats 2&4. Do the dishes or clean the bathroom, any chore really just let that thing click away. It's a little annoying, but it really helps you lock into the feel. The nice thing is you can set it at tempos much different than the ones you are practicing with so you can get the feel for different times.