Need amp recommendation, something like the normal channel of a Deluxe Reverb...

romo

Silver Supporting Member
I have been using a DRRI for quite a while and I find I am spending most of my time on the normal channel. I use a pedalboard for drive, reverb, delay, etc. I haven't had a boutique amp for years (used to be a Dr Z player) but was thinking I'd like to look for a nice handwired Deluxe Reverb type amp, but I don't really want the trem or reverb. Just a simple amp to get the sounds of the normal channel on a DR. Any recommendations?

VICOwner

Gold Supporting Member
I have been using a DRRI for quite a while and I find I am spending most of my time on the normal channel. I use a pedalboard for drive, reverb, delay, etc. I haven't had a boutique amp for years (used to be a Dr Z player) but was thinking I'd like to look for a nice handwired Deluxe Reverb type amp, but I don't really want the trem or reverb. Just a simple amp to get the sounds of the normal channel on a DR. Any recommendations?
Can it be a head?

mallcorn

Yes. Buy the Z-Lux combo and just don't use the verb/trem. It is a GREAT hand-wired sounding amp. Very similar to the DR.

romo

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. Buy the Z-Lux combo and just don't use the verb/trem. It is a GREAT hand-wired sounding amp. Very similar to the DR.

I would possibly revisit Z amps. I owned a Galaxie, Maz, a couple of Ghias. They were all great amps. My primary complaint against them is that they are just really loud. Even the 18 watt amps I owned had little/no usable low volume tones, at least compared to the Fender, which I think sounds great with the volume set relatively low. I play the DRRI around 2-3 on the volume knob a lot. I'd prefer something without verb or trem altogether but who knows!

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
VHT 12/20. Hand wired, based on the DR, can get great tone at band or low volume, no verb/delay, single channel, tube driven loop with in/out volume pots, plenty of headroom when run at 20w with 6L6’s. Since most of your tone is from pedals, if you want a budget friendly option to consider, the 12/20 is it. If you’re worried about reliability, you could spend $3-400 beefing it up and still be around $700. Fantastic pedal platforms, they even have a 9v power supply.

I’d have to check but I think Ceriatone makes some Blackface amps without verb/trem.

Last edited:

romo

Silver Supporting Member
VHT 12/20. Hand wired, based on the DR, can get great tone at band or low volume, no verb/delay, single channel, tube driven loop with in/out volume pots, plenty of headroom when run at 20w with 6L6’s. Since most of your tone is from pedals, if you want a budget friendly option to consider, the 12/20 is it. If you’re worried about reliability, you could spend $3-400 beefing it up and still be around $700. They are fantastic pedal platforms. They even have a 9v power supply.

I’d have to check but I think Ceriatone makes some Blackface amps without verb/trem.

Thanks! I had a Special 6 for a while and it was a nice little practice amp. I don’t think I ever looked at their other models.

mallcorn

I would possibly revisit Z amps. I owned a Galaxie, Maz, a couple of Ghias. They were all great amps. My primary complaint against them is that they are just really loud. Even the 18 watt amps I owned had little/no usable low volume tones, at least compared to the Fender, which I think sounds great with the volume set relatively low. I play the DRRI around 2-3 on the volume knob a lot. I'd prefer something without verb or trem altogether but who knows!
The Z-Lux has 20/40 watt mode plus a Master Volume.....

mlj_gear

VHT 12/20. Hand wired, based on the DR, can get great tone at band or low volume, no verb/delay, single channel, tube driven loop with in/out volume pots, plenty of headroom when run at 20w with 6L6’s. Since most of your tone is from pedals, if you want a budget friendly option to consider, the 12/20 is it. If you’re worried about reliability, you could spend $3-400 beefing it up and still be around $700. Fantastic pedal platforms, they even have a 9v power supply.

Are you sure about the "based on the DR part?" It has a phase inverter more like a 5E3 and, it's cathode biased, and the tone stack isn't much like a DR.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Are you sure about the "based on the DR part?" It has a phase inverter more like a 5E3 and, it's cathode biased, and the tone stack isn't much like a DR.

Ya, I’m sure. It’s based on the DR, not a clone. There’s a whole bunch of differences The tone controls are completely different. Though it’s voiced similar to the DR with flatter mids. The power section is very different too in order to accommodate different power tubes and put out different wattage. Does it sound exactly like a DR? No. But it’s definitely similar. If you lift the tone stack with the pull boost you can get some Tweedish tones too. VHT used to make a 5E3 clone called the Standard 12.

KONTAKTMOI

Go with the technology... I got pleasantly surprised when I bought a cheap practice amp with some modeling capabilities. Fender Mustang 1 - 20 Watts. Yes, I know they are already discontinued but...Then upgrade the speaker to an 8 inch GWS ( that's a MUST) to open up the lungs of that amp. Fuzz, distortion, overdrive,clean, built-in effects, USB - IN , AUX line in and Phones out so you can up and down load.
Best purchase I made on 2/20/2020 !!

romo

Silver Supporting Member
Go with the technology... I got pleasantly surprised when I bought a cheap practice amp with some modeling capabilities. Fender Mustang 1 - 20 Watts. Yes, I know they are already discontinued but...Then upgrade the speaker to an 8 inch GWS ( that's a MUST) to open up the lungs of that amp. Fuzz, distortion, overdrive,clean, built-in effects, USB - IN , AUX line in and Phones out so you can up and down load.
Best purchase I made on 2/20/2020 !!

I’m not looking for a practice amp though. I want a robust gigging amp that sounds like the normal channel of the Deluxe!

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
Wasn't the Z-28 their main offering on heading towards Fender-land?

Top Bottom