Need amp recommendation, something like the normal channel of a Deluxe Reverb...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by romo, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Mesa Fillmore would be a good choice, IMO:

BoogieManSC likes this.
  2. VICOwner

VICOwner Silver Supporting Member

That thing I messaged you about rocks.

3. romo

romo Supporting Member

Yes I believe so. I always wanted to try one. I don’t think he is making them routinely anymore, only special order.

Z makes a great amp, no doubt. But they are really darn loud. Even the Maz I had with a master volume was hard to dial in for small venues and church. I am intrigued by his new stuff but I’d have to try before I buy based on my past experience.

The DRRI I have is already working really well for me, but something tonally similar and handwired would be great. Maybe I’ll just go for the pricier version from Fender.

4. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I've never heard of it being based on a Deluxe Reverb and its circuit doesn't really seem to bear much resemblance to a Deluxe Reverb circuit -- as you mentioned there are a "bunch of differences." I guess I'm just wondering in what sense it can be thought of as being "based on" a Deluxe Reverb, then. I've seen some people say it's based on a Princeton Reverb, and the phase inverter would indeed be a closer match to a Princeton Reverb, but it's still not terribly close to a PR circuit. I'm aware of the Standard 12's circuit being a near-exact clone of a 5E3 circuit, though.

HeavyCream likes this.
  5. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Well... how about the ‘64 HW DR?!? :dunno

6. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Mesa Fillmore 25. It's the Deluxe Reverb you always wish the Fender was, and 2 identical channels of it so you can set them differently. 6V6 raunchy snarl if you need it too

7. KONTAKTMOI

KONTAKTMOI Supporting Member

Ohh, sorry !! Try the Mustang III which is 100W.. Clean tones?? You betcha!

8. romo

romo Supporting Member

Yes, definitely want to try this one!

BoogieManSC likes this.
  9. bserrill

bserrill Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Allen amps. They are extremely well built, reliable, and sound great. The Accomplice / Accomplice Jr is a perfect combo amp for the Deluxe Reverb tones you are looking for. Feel free to reach out to David Allen and he'll be happy to help me out : )

http://www.allenamps.com/
    [​IMG]

Jason S likes this.
  10. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Fair enough, maybe I used the term a little loosely. My understanding is that it has elements of the PR, DR and 5E3. Even if it is closer to a PR, what’s a 20w PR? The point is, sonically, it is definitely comparable to a DR. I stand by my suggestion of the VHT 12/20 as a budget option for a hand wired, clean pedal platform that resembles the DR Normal channel. There are many excellent expensive hand wired DR clones that would smoke a 12/20. But, for $3-400, the closest thing is the 12/20. For a straight up pedal platform, it’s a good option to have on the table.

mlj_gear likes this.
  11. easyed

easyed Silver Supporting Member

The Dr Z Cure ticks most of your boxes. Two 6V6 power tubes, two 12AX7 (ECC83) preamp tubes, and 12AT7 (ECC81) PI. It has an effects loop as well. Major difference is that the power tubes are cathode bias.

The Z-Luxe is undoubtedly a great amp for a Deluxe Reverb with more power (4 x 6V6). The Cure does away with the effects and has half the power. It is really close to the Normal channel of a Deluxe Reverb, but the Z quality and design makes it a great value.

12. romo

romo Supporting Member

Yes I think the Cure is the Z that fits most with what I am looking for. The Z-lux is probably more amp than I really want.

I’m still searching for something that would be more of a straight clone of a DR, just without the trem and verb.

13. thosk

thosk Member

14. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I was on a similar quest, and these two were top of my list (I wanted reverb, but no trem). Also the Vintage Sound SC22, though it has both the reverb and trem. But all of these are basically the same idea, BF tone in a Princeton size cab with DR power.

Ended up going with the WC Spanky, no regrets. It does go way beyond just the BF DR tone if desired, which I personally like as I can dial in exactly the tone I want, especially the mids. Ironically I found the reverb a little heavy (seen this said about the Wonderdawg also) and now am just using delay for reverb and liking it better that way..

15. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I have Spanky MKII and I love it. Perfect amp for me. Weird you say that about the reverb. I find the verb on the Spanky MKII to be very tame; with it on 10, it's about equal to my old 65 PRRI at about 2.5-3.

jamester likes this.
  16. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Just a thought, but how about using the Normal channel of the DRRI you already own? Unless the DRRI is going flaky on you...

HomeInMyShoes likes this.
  17. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

The sun of Daytona Beach ( formerly NE Ohio )
    I had both a Z-28 and DRRI at the same time and got to A/B them. Very similar tones but the Z had more definition. I’ve had the Z for 10+ years and the DRRI has been long gone.

I use the Z almost as a pedal platform with a Z Brake The 2 tone knobs gives me a lot of versatility for the different styles of music I play.

18. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I got mine new, but I'm wondering if something's up with my reverb.

It's not so much the mix as the decay, it has the longest reverb tail I've ever heard in an amp! I showed it to a buddy who agreed, it just keeps going and going. I can use it barely cracked open, but any more than that and the reverb just piles up in the background as you play. I read and watched reviews of this amp before purchasing, never one comment about this so maybe it's just mine..?

19. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Grab a Blackface Deluxe Amp. They are a great deal used and pretty much exactly what you’re after.

20. aeolian

aeolian Member

In basic compact blackface there are many options. I looked at Allen (I have Allen transformers in a '68 DR that I rebuilt), Carr and Suhr and ended up with a Milkman for the extra gig headroom in a compact size. But if you want a boutique replacement for the DRRI, there's lots of options.
    Another option would be to find a really good tech and have them rebuild a Silverface DR, non-reverb Deluxe or Princeton.