Need amp suggestions for 80's metal.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nazgul666, Jan 10, 2015.

1. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

2. jpage

jpage Member

There are more amps that do that tone than don't... pick yer poison. I'd go Henning, Fortin or Friedman myself...

3. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Great low buck option......

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

5. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Like page said there are a ton of amps that got the bill. However, for dead on 80's metal I'd go with a JMP 2203/4 or JCM 800 2203/4.

I recently picked up a '78 2204 and it gives me chills. Not that it sounds better than the boutiques but the tone has al the nuances of the tones from the record. Can't even describe it but it's there.

People say these amps are hit or miss. This must be a good one because I can't imagine another sounding better.

6. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Engl

Priest scorps and Vivian Campbell new
    Dio tribute all use em

7. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Not contesting that. Just keep in mind that the OP already had a Triaxis and wanted something different. (Well, ok, a Triaxis rig does not sound exactly the same as a Mark amp but it is close enough.)

8. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

JVM? Sorry, no cigar. Not even close actually. The JVM is a nice and versatile amp on its own right but don't except to find the classic JCM800 crunch in there.

The DSL can get closer but IMO nothing beats an actual 2203 or 2204. Just be prepared to invest in a boost pedal and/or an attenuator.

9. dohmar

dohmar Member

Honestly if the triaxis doesnt cut it, maybe buy a JMP-1 to compliment it? I have both and they are different beasts. You could try and engl but thats a very modern nu metal sound (roughly speaking). tele_jas has a point about the ADA pre's but those are starting to breakdown with age and repair can be super expensive.

But the jcm800 suggestions are probably the best bet. Get the vertical jack model, not the horizontal model. 2204 if u like to enjoy the tone without blowing your eardrums. 2203 if your name is angas young or slash and you have a football field of people to please.

To me the 80s hair metal was always demonstrated with the absolute walls of 1960A and B cabinets on stage. Marshall was the sound and the 800 series had gain and then some. They can also be rebiased to take KT88s and other tubes, so theyre seriously versatile.

-D

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You've got everything you need, you just need right tubes, speakers and EQ.

Want 80's hair metal in a box...
    [​IMG]
    But has to have a RCA long grey plate in v1 and a Telefunken ribbed plate in v2. RCA as med gain(8), Telefunken cranked(10+), instant scorpions/dokken in a box.

11. jpage

jpage Member

2204 can blow your eardrums just as easily. Understand what you are getting with an 800before you dive in:

-a rock amp that is made to play LOUD. Master volumes on these are terrible and they sound terrible at low volumes.
    -as everyone has stated you WILL need a dirt box on front for any sort of modern overdrive tone.
    -no effects loop.

Unless you are strictly an at home player with the ability to turn up very very loud the 2203/2204 isn't a great choice IMO

12. JB6464

JB6464 Member

MV Marshall with a OD in front of it or a Soldano SLO/HR100+ with greenbacks.

13. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I have to agree with what has been said.
    Either a boosted nmv Marshall or a Soldano SLO. Or even better.... Both together :rockin

14. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Supporting Member

THIS!!!! I have a 4010 (1x12 combo) and push it with a Danelectro TOD V1, always on. It IS the sound of the 80s, IMO.
    Just watch Metal Mania on VH1 Classic. Nearly every amp that's shown in a video from that era is a JCM800.

15. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Also don't rule out the JMP's from 76-81 , they are the same amp with the older vintage headshell look .

16. JParry335

JParry335 Member

I've got a Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 that I think could fit the bill nicely.
    What examples for the above devices would you suggest?

17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Currently saving $$ for a 2204 to replace the one
    I sold.(stupidly)
    Sometimes a one-trick pony is perfect.

18. jpage

jpage Member

Wow--that amp is not in the same galaxy as the Marshalls being discussed IMO.

19. minerman

minerman Member

I have a Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w, & it does a pretty good 80's hair metal sound IMHO....Speakers make a difference IMO too, I love my Chupa with Greenbacks, but the Celestion G12-65 I have is a really close second....YMMV...

But, like lots of people have mentioned, a JCM800 would definitely get you there pretty much instantly (with a boost pedal or modded amp)...

20. Russian Hammer

Russian Hammer Member