Need an amp but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuzzydrive, Mar 17, 2015.

1. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Hey guys!
    I need an amp but donno what to pick, how to choose...
    Last year i wanted to have an THR10 but couldnt.

Im playing about 1 year and cant play much, some open chords and some bars.
    So the tone out of my fingers is suck! :)
    Altough i want to get myself a better amp. So here the particular situation im in:

I want to play for myself, no giggin means.
    Going for blues and sometimes try some metal stuff.
    Mark Knopfler, Clapton, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Dylan, Randy Newman, Metallica, Britney Spears, M.O.P. and some other guys...

Ive a Zoom - g1xon processor as a gift from my girlfriend (ex gave me socks...) playing with a made in PRC acoustic guitar amp, ive bought it mistakenly...
    Never think that could be an acoustic guitar amp tho!
    So im playing with g1xon and listening through a cheap philips headphones.
    I really like looper a lot! Im neglecting my girl for playing with looper. But thats another story...

I wanted to record the songs that im playing and go out and bought 2nd hand sound interface (rashly person i am usually) m-audio fast track usb 2.
    And by anytime go out and buy a microphone. But want your help. (very unstable person i am, often) No! i dont want you to put me in a mental institution, just recommend me couple amps! :) Or just declare your thoughts to my amp choices pls.

Oh, i had a guitar too! :anon
    Its SX, STL50 which ive bought it rashly by under affection some words that i read on another forum that is: "Real guys play Tele!"
    Nowadays i see that im not a real guy, just a Stratman. Try to change my guitar in future.

I thought that i should sum up at the end.

Going for blues.
    Need record, dunno use mic or just go for USB, like Mustang or Blackstar provides. And i had sound interface too! If USB enough i can get rid of my sound interface, no problem.
    And i guess imma go for a loop station, dunno that needs FX LOOP, please enlight me with that too!

Last year i was goin after for Yamaha THR10 but i didnt like small speaker idea.
    Im thinking Mustang I or II but II better with 12" speaker.
    And Blackstar id 20 has stereo! i liked it so much but its also has small speakers!
    Maybe a Vox AD50VT? Ive really dont know anything about this fella.
    But i had a strange dream last night, i was in England and having chat with queen lisbet, maybe its relevant with Vox's emblem.
    These amps that im thinking on them all are 2nd hand. And have an THR10 in options!

Thanks guys!

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

How much are you looking to spend?

3. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

We have economical crysis in my country nowadays. About $400 i belive. Dunno whats gonna be tomorrow...

4. NielsM

NielsM Member

Well, it's obvious you're not looking for a tube amp. If you wanna be really versatile, the Line 6's series are pretty good I've heard for a modeling amp.
    Many options, with Bluesy overdrive up till heavy Metal tones.

For looper you should look into Boss.
    About the FX loop. Most amps have a Pre Gain and a Post gain. The Pre gain is the first stage of amplifying you're original signal. Than it goes by you're EQ and than it goes to you Post Gain, which amplify it more.
    If you're using a tube amp, it's really important to know what pedals you put in the Pre gain (front of the amp) and which one in the Post gain.

So if you'd use a looper, you should put it right after the guitar because you want the original signal to be looped.

Hope this helped.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. gitapik

gitapik Member

Fender Mustang series has some nice tones.

6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

peavey vypyr or a bandit 112 transtube gets my vote.

7. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Sure it helped mate! Thank you so much.
    But DT25 is way over my budget...

Im looking for mustang or id core 20.
    Mustang I has 10" speaker $120
    Mustang II is 12" speaker $240
    Id core has 2x5" speakers which has stereo! $160
    Valvetronix VT20+ has 8" Vox speaker. $160
    These are amps thhat i can buy 2nd hand stuff, online like e-bay web site that popular around here. Cheapest is Mustang I btw.

The reason im going for modeling amps is im new player and dont know which style ill be after. As a new player i found my self as a "tonejunkie". Whats wrong with me!
    I just want to play and be good at it. Dont want to let the inner junkie got me! :)

I really want a tube amp but it should be perfect pick in future i believe.
    Thanks a lot!

8. NielsM

NielsM Member

Mustang II is a good choice.

Good luck man, and just remeber to keep playing.

9. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I got one of those Yamaha THC amps (the THC10) for playing at home. It's fantastic, and has really nice tones. Unless you need the volume of a tube amp, you won't find better amp tones than what you find in the THC10. I don't worry about the small speakers ... it actually has a good amount of bass and get get pretty loud.
    I like looper pedals... it's a great way to practice scales (much less boring than a metronome).
    Get an overdrive pedal if you want... kind of nice to be able to get different distorted tones.
    But most importantly... learn songs, learn riffs, learn your scales...take lessons. Enjoy it and try to learn something new every day...don't fall into the habit of just noodling on stuff you already know... Every new thing you learn helps unlock the mysteries of the fretboard and music in general... making it even more fun and more addictive.

10. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Oh, yes ive seen some videos about THR Philip Sayce and Soren Andersen. Andersen's review or i should say commercial :) its a kick ass stuff...

1)
    And now i checked again and found an Ibanez Valbee?! Its really cheap, a little bit cheaper than mustang I! I know its small but has tube...
    I cant play loud...

An Orange PiX Crush CR20L, around $140. Has no USB controls and use as sound interface but sounds so warm and i like orange juice.

2)
    The THR10 is about double price than mustang II, its so hard to get... Because i would get some low level quiet tube amp. I find it so expensive in this point of view. Am i wrong?

3)
    I cant find a guitar teacher around my town but got a friend who is music teacher and asked her to teach me for ear training.
    She is offered me work on keyboard which she has. According to her its better to learn on keyboard. As a guitar player, is it works on me? Should i go for it?

11. rsm

rsm Member

Line 6 AMPLIFi 75 or 150. for practice, assuming you do not plan to use for live performance...

12. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Ah, that box! I got a chance to play with amplifi 150, about 1 hour. I really liked it but its over my budget...

BTW, are non-modeling transistor amps good? For blues and crunch. I saw a video about Marshall mg15cfx, guy was playing so beautiful and got my attention.

Oh, not the guy, on the amp, my attention :)

13. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The THC10 series amps ARE expensive for what they are - but they're very good sounding little boxes.

There's SOOO many choices in that dollar amount man. I bought my friend the smaller Mustang amp and it sounded GREAT. I think I'd try to urge to look that way, find the best deal, and GRAB it.

The other thing (really the most important thing) is to NOT STOP PLAYING/PRACTICING......regardless of what you're playing through - the better YOU get the better ANYTHING sounds.

Good luck over there!

14. NielsM

NielsM Member

+1!

15. custom53

custom53 Member

I will always recommend a used tweed Peavey Classic series for what you want. Classic 20 or Classic 30.. And you won't have to replace it as you get better. It will last as long you do..!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  16. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

i will take one of those $150 peavey classics please!

17. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Cant find peavey in around here...

:agree for sure!

Ive checked some guys at youtube doing so well with solid state amps. And as a solid state physicist i really love transistors :)

When i saw this video completely got that: its not your gear, its your practice time.

and

Thanks a lot for your encouragements guys, i really need them! <3 !

Btw, you guys recording online? SounCloud-like apps? I want to listen indie music.

18. custom53

custom53 Member

Shame about not having any Peavey Classics around where you are. Don't know how loud you want or how long before you "upgrade" but I have a little Fender Frontman 25R that I mess around with at home.. Works good for being a cheap little amp.. Usually pick one up a used one from $75-$150 = USD..

19. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Are they your own videos? Sounds so good.

Every time I check out the 2nd hand online amps, changing my mind. Because of cheap tube amps.
    Actually ibanez ts5a, laney cub 8 and 10. And a lil train with cab.
    Some hybrids too. Like valvetronix, laney.
    They're all in my budget.

What a exhausting process it is!

Maybe I go grab myself a classical guitar and burn my electric guitar!