Need an amp to compete with a Matchless DC-30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jazblugtr, Jan 14, 2015.

1. jazblugtr

jazblugtr Member

My wife and I share her Matchless DC-30 for gigging in our respective bands. I love this amp for gigging since it always sounds great and cuts though the mix better than any other amp I've played.

We're working on a new project together where she is "2nd guitar" but she will taking a few solos and fills. Naturally, she wants to use her DC-30. I can't argue with that. Naturally, I want to sound and cut through just a bit better than she! :D This is "marriage counsellor" material, isn't it?

Anyway, what amp can hold it's own with a DC-30 besides another DC-30? Another Matchless or a Bad Cat are obvious choices. I've always wished for a bit more Marshall-esque bottom end thump and a little less compression from the DC-30. Maybe a Clubman? Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I would get something that sounded completely different so you are not sounding like one giant guitar, but that's just my opinion. If you want something sorta Marshally check out a
    JTM 45?

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

My wife and I share a little Polytone Baby Brute.

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, a JCM800 would be perfect. The master volume would allow you to dial it back just a hair so the volumes match, but then you can crank it just a little for your solo!

6. ssyrjamaki

ssyrjamaki Member

7. 55 Jr

55 Jr Member

Just a thought but....

If you can find a Bedrock 1202 with Fane Medusa speakers you would be impressed .

Think of it as the baddest Chieftain on the planet.

8. snarkle

snarkle Member

Go for a Jim Kelley. I hear the reissues are great, but I actually HAVE an original, and a DC-30. They're comparable and compatible, but completely different.

(Basically the Kelley is to Fender what the Matchless is to Vox.)

Better still, if you get the Kelley in combo form, neither you or your wife will ever have to go to the gym. Those are two heavy amps, but they're worth it.

The Kelley isn't especially Marshall-like, but I've never met a Marshall I'd trade mine for.

ebenezer likes this.
  9. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

One of my favorite rigs was a DC-30 and a '68 Basman. They complement each other very well.

10. sanrico

sanrico Member

His wife owns a Matchless! Anyone else notice how awesome that is?

river_jetties likes this.
  11. lovhanyou

lovhanyou Member

The master volume would allow you to dial it back just a hair so the volumes match[​IMG]

12. jazblugtr

jazblugtr Member

Haha! It's a good problem to have!

13. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

You will never cut through the mix better than her ,Thats a matchless dc30 your playing against!
    Maybe a clubman with vintage 30's..... maybe
    Everything else will sound dull,

Bt

14. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The Budda SD30 would be different enough to compliment and still cut through.

Mesa Transatlantic 30 has plenty of tonal options

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If you like the DC-30, why spend money on a substitute? You may not be in this playing situation after a while, and then you will have your own DC-30. The Allman Bros Band had dual Marshall's and LP's and they didn't sound like one big guitar.

Unless you have money to burn, buy the amp that you want and will keep using.

16. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

As much as I love Matchless, I'd probably opt for something different. Divided by 13 will have some resemblance to the Matchless but will be different enough. The D13 amps have the liveliness, immediacy, and complexity similar to Matchless but with a more modern orientation to the sound, i.e. more breakup and a tighter bottom end, IMHO. Maybe something like a BTR23, puts you in a marshall camp but with the matchless-esque gigantic iron, big power supply, and cathode biased to the point of exploding sound.

17. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

18. ethompson

ethompson Supporting Member

Chieftain! I really want a DC-30 to go with mine.

19. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

You know, a different guitar would sound different through another DC30.

Or, even the same guitar set up different would be a difference. For instance, I've recorded a track with the bridge pickup on a Tele and panned it right. Recorded a little different track in the middle position and panned it left. The result. . .A big sounding guitar. Isn't that what you're looking for?

On the other hand. . .just about anything will sound good with a DC30 taking up most of the sonic space, and the other guitar as a subtle filler.

20. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Bad Cat Black Cat