Need an inexpensive amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Throttleneck, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Member

Hi Folks,

My daughter is visiting with a friend of hers and he would like to get an amp. He really is a good guitarist, but doesn't have a lot of money.

I was going to recommend a Fender Mustang. When I asked him what he liked he said he liked the Marshall sound - I am more of a Fender guy. So I think the Mustang might be ok, but I wondered what others he might consider.

His budget is around $100.00

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Something like a Roland Cube.

Used Epiphone Valve Jr head or combo if he's lucky.

3. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

4. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'd say for $100 your daughter's friend will need to browse his local Craigslist and see what's available. Not much available here in the ATL for $100. Cheapest Fender Mustang on ATL CL, right now, is asking $139. No clue how it "does" Marshall sounds.

An alternative prospect: if he has an iPad, he can buy an Apogee Jam for ~$100 and use the built in Garageband amps and run the iPad out to better speakers, if he has them.

If he's set on getting an amp, I think he's going to have to raise his budget to at least $150 or $200.

5. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Member

Thanks everyone. I'll pass along the information.

6. jape

jape Member

$100 is definitely going to be tough.

FWIW - I have a Mustang & love it. I love the 'Fendery' models, but I don't think the 'Marshally' models are great.

Maybe look into the smaller Blackstar ID's? I haven't played one, but from the clips I've heard it seems like they do the Marshall sounds pretty well. They have a couple small models that retail $100 & $150. The question on these would be are they loud enough for him.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Peavey Bandit.

8. crwilsn

crwilsn Member

I'm going way out on a limb here. The older Marshall MG30CDX is a decent amp that gets a 80s Marshallish sound. Can be had used from GC for $80-$100. 2 channel amp that sounds good for practice. Not going to cut through a band mix without SS crackle but nothing at that price will.

Plus is says Marshall and looks the part.

9. Creighton

Creighton Member

$100 is rough, but I'd look for a used Fender Blues Jr. Great sounding amp for a couple hundred bucks. I've even used it on recordings with a fresh set of JJ el84's and a clean boost and it really shines with a good mic on it.

10. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Heh? The budget is $100.

11. Creighton

Creighton Member

If he's a 'really good guitarist', I don't think he's going to find anything worth playing through for $100. Tell him to save a few more clams and get a used Blues Jr. for $300. That's the best sounding inexpensive amp I can think of.

12. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

2nd Important question: What music/style does he primarily play? The "Marshall sound" leads towards a distorted flavor, more rock, no?
    3rd: Does he have dirt pedals he likes?

A Blues Jr won't do it for a kid who likes distortion, has no pedals and just worked a long while to earn the extra $$ to buy it. In this case, a used Spider 30 or a Valvestate will go a lot farther.

13. rookie

rookie Member

If you are on the Marshall side, let me recommend you a Trace Elliot Tramp, which I guess you could get for around 100-150$.

Another one could be Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue, but this one is more Vox sounding to me, at least with low gain.

14. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

In the Marshall-ish realm those old 10-watt or so SS Park combos are cool little practice amps and can be found in the $100 range. Not plentiful, but they're out there.

15. zenas

zenas Member

Seeing as how he's your daughter's friend you may not want to advise him the way I advise young guitar player's with low gear budgets.

First off 100 bucks is pretty sad. Only amp worth having he'll get for that money is some old smelly tube thing he finds in a dumpster or at a yard sale. (it'll need work) You have to be real lucky to get those deals these days.
    Anything new for a hundred bucks will be a POS not worth. . . . well a hundred bucks.

He needs more money it's that simple. His job probably doesn't pay very well so he could go to school and get a better job but he's a guitar player.

The soulution is simple he needs a girlfriend to move in with and leech off of while he saves for some good gear.

As a guy with four daugters myself I encourage them to stay the hell away from guitar players.

16. Slevin

Slevin Member

First part was great advice, second part I LOLd but not sure if serious.

Guitar is an expensive hobby, it's that simple. If he can't afford it, he could get a little Roland amp and call it a day and just fiddle around for the rest of his life. If he's a serious guitarist and 100 is all he can afford, my advice is to keep the 100 and 1. Spend it on things you need like food, rent, etc. Or 2. Save more money and be patient for a good amp. But 100 isn't getting him anything "nice"

17. zenas

zenas Member

Other than telling my girls to stay away from guitar players just joking. :)

No the only advice I give my girls on guys is.
    Get a guy that can buy new **** or a guy that can fix old **** or the money to hire a guy to fix your ****.

What they end with are dip***** that can't afford a plummer and need to watch youtube to learn how to use a plunger.