Need an iPod/iPhone app for band practice

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hecube, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

Here's my situation: I'm in a new cover band, I have to learn 40+ songs (mostly 3 or 4 chord songs). The problem is remembering the keys of each songs and just the basic chord sequence (I don't need the complete chord layout of the song).

Is there an app that would allow me to store the chords in text form and flip rapidly between all the pages which would preferably be stored alphabetically. A search field would be a relly big plus. Another big plus would be the possibility to display the page in big characters and sideways.

Thanks!

2. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

irealb ?
    you might even be able to download the chord sheets for your songs instead of writing them out.
    You can then modify them.. or you can start from scratch.. I think it will even transpose on the fly if you want

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

You can even use a Word doc or a PDF and an app like GoodReader.

4. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

Ireal book won't work because there's plenty of Qu├ębec rock in the list and I highly doubt that a song like "Ayoye" will be in there...

5. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

Well I tried Filemaker's Bento for iPod/iPhone and, wham bam thank you m'am, it's exactly what I need.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

SongBook is the shiz for cover bands. It allows you to import individual songs from www.chordie.com which has thousands of popular songs in its database. Go into Songbook and click on Songs. At the bottom of the songs page there is a menu with a globe button. Click the globe button and then click on the other tab. Type www.chordie.com and hit go. Once there type in the name of the song you want to find. When it shows you the list of songs, go through them to find the format you like. Once you click on the song, in the bottom right corner you will see Import. Click that and it will open the song in the ChordPro editor to give you a chance to make changes. When you are done making changes if any, then hit save and it will be added to your songs.

If you can't find it on there, google the name of the song + lyrics chords. Like Stairway to Heaven Lyrics Chords. Nine times out of ten you will find it that way and you can save that song and import it to Songbook via the apps section in iTunes.

Once you have the song in SongBook, you can do cool things with it, like change the key on the fly, highlight certain sections, add notes, edit on the fly, scroll through the song as you play and even save a tempo with a built in metronome that you can play before the song to remember the tempo. At this point I have 184 songs uploaded to my iPad separated into two categories with playlists for three different bands. Works like a charm and I use it on every gig now.

7. CHyde

CHyde Member

The "unreal book" app is great. You can fly in anything as long as it's a .pdf and stores it alphabetically. I use it for all my charts. Can also make set/song lists on the fly and email them out if needed.

8. Graffiti Rover

Graffiti Rover Member

I have some tabs in Word files. Can I import them into SongBook?