Need an OD to hold me over until KOT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DJLantz444, Jul 6, 2006.

1. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'm getting a new amp soon and plan on someday using it with the KOT (someday may be a long time away). However, I just need something to push it from a bit of grit/breakup into a bluesy lead. So a low gain OD, maybe a tubescreamer varient, but without the problems (Bad bass response). I have a Lovepedal COT50 and an Eternity but the COT50 isn't smooth enough and the Eternity is too dark with the neck pickup (at least in my experience). The pedal should of course have no wait, since I already have to wait on the KOT.

Edit: Oh yeah, the amp will be a fender deluxe style of some sort (see sig).

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Used vintage Marshall Bluesbreaker (black box with blue writing) or the newer Bluesbreaker II. Pro Analog Dual Drive. All three can be acquired quite easily.

3. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

On second thought, I'm not sure, the COT50 might work. But I'll take other suggestions right now also. The Eternity sounds fantastic for bridge pickup work but I rarely use that.

4. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

Banzai Cold Fusion

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

You can throw the Barber LTD into the mix as well, with the internal trims you should be able to tweak it to your liking.

6. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

7. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'm not sure if the COT50 will work, guys. I bet it will sound great, but I want to retain the Deluxe Reverb quality of the amp - It's not going to turn my Deluxe into a Plexi, is it?

8. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

which is why you should try this:

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

You can try the following;
    1. A blues driver, and set the drive to 12 o'clock. Its pretty damn close
    2. FDII; yeah its a TS type pedal, but you can make some tweaks
    3. Check out the KLON. I know Doc dumped his, but I like mine and get similiar results
    4. Check out Mike's Beano, and silver TS mod
    5. Check out Diamonds boost pedal

At the end of the day, all of these can get close. Are they exact? NO!!!, but I believe out of everything, you may take your chances at a stock blues driver at 12 o'clock.. play with the tone controls, and you will be VERY VERY close..

10. Doug

Doug Member

Digitech Bad Monkey. Seriously. It sounds like a good tubescreamer, without all the compression and lack of low end. :AOK

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you're thinking a TS type pedal at all, I would pick up an MJM Blues Devil. Very nice TS pedal, but still has bottom and some nice hair on the notes. But, then again, I prefer my Eternity over it because the E has even more bottom end. I use it with a Deluxe style amp and my neck pickup and I definitely don't find it too dark, but we each have our preferences of what we like to hear.

The Keeley modded BD-2 may be a really good alternative for you also. Tons of bottom end, yet can be fairly transparent and retain your guitar and amp's tone.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Jeez, if you're finding the Eternity's too dark (even w/a vintage style Fender amp?:eek:!?), then I'm not going to recommend mid-rangey TS clones or a bass heavy pedal like the HoneyBee.

I've got the new Diamond J-Drive/booster, and it can get pretty dark, too- even w/the extra sizzle provided by the Ge trannies..

How about a TIM? It's got a bright, edgy quality - an almost spine-tinglingly RAW sound that I can't get enough of, and the boost side should just about rip your head off w/6V6/6L6 tubes..

You planning on running the amp wide open, or at more reasonable volumes?

13. el34power

el34power Member

I will +1 on the LTD.

14. aarockla

aarockla Member

if you go with this, I have one for sale.
    Anyways, whether you want it or get it new, it does fit the bill. Excellent for low gain/clean boost work, adn can get a rock distro too. The reason i got it was for the bass response and the abaility have sligh drive with a deep sound. just too many ODs now though for me, so I have to get rid of it. Look at other Banzai pedals too, I like the Cold Fusion and the Fireball, the Fireball is a little heavier though, sound wise, but both are great ODs.

15. utterhack

utterhack Member

A few thoughts...

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - non-TS OD, very smooth, with separate top boost control.

Jacques Tubeblower - can run with both more and less gain than a TS, separate low and high eq.

Bad Monkey - TS circuit with separate low and high eq, insanely cheap

16. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'm not finding it too dark with fender style amps - I don't have my amp yet. My amp runs on EL84s. However, I can tell through my current amp that it's not going to be the sound I'm looking for with the neck pickup, even through a brighter amp. I don't know if dark is the right word.. I don't want to say muddy, because it's not. I guess it's just not the sound I'm looking for. It sounds good for fusion type stuff but I don't like the Eternity for blues.

Anyway, I'll be running the amp at more reasonable volumes..probably just about breaking up and then I'll use an OD to push it into a nice lead.

17. utterhack

utterhack Member

Sounds like a job for (in order of price, from high to low) a Klon, Cold Fusion, Liquid Sunshine, or Zoom PD-01 :)

18. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I think I'll see how the COT fairs and if it doesn't do what I want I'll try out the Cold Fusion. Thanks guys.

Now to find someone selling that amp..
    EDIT: I'll also keep my Eternity and RC Booster around and see how those do. Whatever doesn't make the cut will be up for sale to fund the amp.

19. radcliff

radcliff Member

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Another option I thought of while rereading this thread is the Skreddy Screwdriver. It is a VERY nice od. I have been running it on my board with my Eternity for the last few days (I just got one from a fellow GPer) and comparing it to the E. It can be MUCH brighter than E, but can also have a lot more low end than the E. I am running the brilliance trim pot almost all the way down because I like the tone there, but it can be really bright as you turn it up. The sharpness control regulates how much fat, bottom end is added in. With the knob counterCW, it is the most, less as you go up. I am finding i like it at about 10-2 o'clock depending on the amount of gain.
    Bottom line is, it is a really versatile pedal and can go from low gain all the way up to higher gain and has a huge amount of adjustability on the low and high end.
    I think you are going to be surprised how much brighter a Deluxe is. They have very little mid content and you're probably going to want a little mid-stronger pedal like the E or a TS variant. Maybe not though.