Need appraisal help - value of '85 Les Paul Custom?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MisterTV, Mar 22, 2008.

1. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

I'm trying to get a sense of what the current market value would be for this guitar. I've had it forever and have recently been contimplating whether I would ever sell it.

It's an '85 Les Paul custom that's been altered somewhat. Originally this came with a floating trem, which was removed years ago... you can see the cavity in the pics. A standard tailpiece was then installed and the truss rod cover was cut to remove the trem lock scews.

The gold hardware has flaked over the past 20+ years and there are the standard nicks and dings that were accumulated over countless jams/rehearsals/shows. I need to get a replacement knob, obviously, which a trip to Guitar Center should easily solve.

I think I paid $800 or $900 for it back in '89.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MisterTV

Bump for the Easter crowd... anyone?

3. MisterTV

Jeez, tough crowd. *tap tap* Is this thing on?

One last bump for the back-to-workers... if no response, I'll go away quietly... promise.

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

Once you said "floating trem" on your Les Paul everyone went into a shock coma, then stopped reading. Blasphemy of the highest order.

I know there are several well known shops that do appraisals like Gruhns, but the quickest way might be to surf ebay for completed auctions that are close to your guitars.

5. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I'm no Les Paul expert--though I've owned quite a few over the years. Judging by the mods, it isn't worth much more than you paid for it. LP's routed for hair trems don't go up in value, as far as I can tell. It might actually be worth more to someone with the FR on it.

6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I'll just take a quick stab off the top of my head:

- Without the FR ~$900
    - With the FR ~$1,100
    - unmodded ~$1,600

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    The mod killed it.

I would ebay it and just set the price what you need to get out of it.

I stupidly had a Kahler trem installed in my beautiful wine red 78 LP Custom. I might as well have just shot the guitar behind teh shed with a S&W .44 magnum to put it out of it's misery. :messedup The routing just killed that guitar.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Is is still ready for a Floyd to be installed?

9. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

the route put a hurting on it!!!

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The exact same guitar with the original factory floating trem has been for sale in the Vancouver Craiglist for at least 3 months. It's down to $1800. So I'd guess that a repaired model would be worth around $1200. I would pay $1200 for a professionally repaired one. If a guy just glued up some scraps in the hole and shot a bit of black lacquer, that's worth maybe $1000. Can't tell from you pics. But as you can get 85-late 90s black Les Paul Customs all day lone for the $1900-$2300 range, nobody's going to pay more than $1200 for yours.

11. MisterTV

It is... I think I still have the original Kahler trem around somewhere. I'm also pretty sure this was built with the trem installed, and not routed afterwards. Man, the 80's sure were filled with bad, bad ideas!

I also looked for that Craigslist ad in Vancouver and couldn't find it... if anyone has it cached, I'd really appreciate it if you could send it my way.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

13. MisterTV

Yup, that's exactly what mine looked like back in the day. Going by the opinions here, he's going to have to come way down in his price. Good to know... thanks!!

14. MisterTV

Update: Took it in to my local independent guitar shop, which specializes in vintage American-made guitars. Their tech thought it was a cool little oddity of a guitar.

At first they said it might go for $2K with the original parts, but then later came down to around $1,500 as a recommendation if I wanted to put it on consignment. Of course, this was after I said the "online community" seems to frown on LPs with Kahlers!

15. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I think it would definitely be worth more with the original Kahler on it. Keep it original and you'd get more for it.

There are still people out there who prefer those trems, and it would certainly be worth a bit more more than $1k. I've seen broken hulks of LPs listed as projects on eBay going for nearly that much.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Anyone know Neal Schon's email?

17. MisterTV

[​IMG]

"Randy dawg, let's write some new Journey hits using a weirdo Les Paul Custom I found on TGP! Don't stop believing!"

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Funny thing is I'd never classify Schon as tone impaired Kahler/Floyd Rose Les Paul or not :D