need audio interface for MIXING only - recommendations please

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wrong_note_rod, Mar 25, 2015.

1. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I have a big powerful Windows 7 tower, i7, 8 gigs of RAM, and I'm using SONAR X3Studio. I run the 32bit version.

All i do with this machine is mix. No recording. At all.

Recordings are done on an older machine, XP, with a Delta 1010LT soundcard, and Sonar Home studio 6..works fine for recording but not powerful enough to mix with all the VST effects and things. So, I copy the entire folder over to the Windows 7 machine and mix it there.

I mix on a pair of Yamaha Nearfield powered monitors.

I dont need to worry about channels or mic preamps. All I need, is a good, simple, USB audio interface with 24bit ASIO drivers for both play and record (Even tho I wont be recording, the DAW needs to have the record drivers... I'm guessing for clock purposes, but I really dont know why)..

and a left out and a right out for the speakers.

I've tried various soundcards and nothing but problems, they're a pain in the butt to install, and, Sonar X3 doesnt ever like them. Especially the Creative Soundblasters, nothing but trouble with them.

I think a good but simple to install USB interface is the way to go.

I saw this and wondered if this is all I need

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca...27289573&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+audio+interfaces

if its not going to work, or if anyone thinks its not very good, can anyone steer me to something thats going to be better for me?

thanks for any replies

2. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

3. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I do not know the answer to this, but does the one you suggest even have ASIO drivers?

That might be fine for a stereo feed, but if he has large track counts, he might need to adjust latency and buffer settings only a device with drivers would have.

Just something to look into.

4. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

5. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

you mentioned buffer settings. I've seen these in reviews but I'm not quite sure what they do.

In one install scenario, you have to choose the buffer setting immediately, and I wouldnt have any idea what to choose.

Can you explain what the buffer is/does, and what an acceptable starting setting might be?

thanks

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd look for a high-quality D/A converter, vs. an interface - why pay for stuff you don't need?

I think someone's got a Lucid in the Emporium?

7. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

ok pardon my newbieness.

So really, for output, all i need is a D/A converter?

the Lucid was a bit much for my purposes... I really dont want to spend more than 200

should have mentioned it before, but, I didnt think simple audio interfaces with no frills, would be any more than that... live and learn I guess

8. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

What kind of inputs do your monitors have? I would not think the RCA type of output on that interface would be ideal.

I tend to disagree with others who say all you need is a D/A converter. You are mixing in Sonar X3 and therefore are going to need audio drivers for the interface.

I have no experience with this one, but something like this to me seems just fine. It woudl give you 1/4 blanced outs (assuming your monitors have the 1/4 balanced ins)

http://www.proaudiostar.com/tascam-us2x2-usb-2-0-2-in-2-out-audio-midi-interface.html

Tascam is a Gibson company, which now owns Sonar (and it comes with SonarX3 lite) so you can pretty much guarantee compatibility.

I unfortunately do not have time to explain buffers and latency at the moment. Quite a few factors there.

9. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

yes my yamaha has 1/4" inputs.

I looked into the Tascam, and there was a review from a guy with SONAR X3 who said he had terrible connectivity problems with the unit. Spooked me a little bit. Just one review but...

OK, so buffers are related to latency. On my other machine, with the Delta1010T card, I have the latency at either 512 or 1024, and that seems fine. I didnt realize those were the "buffer" settings.

If indeed they are...

10. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

If you are talking about this, looks like user error to me

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Tascam-US2X2-Soundcard-issue-with-Sonar-X3e-crackling-noise-m3137887.aspx

11. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

that was a very interesting thread. I bookmarked that for future reference.

however, the thread I saw was a different one, it was a guy over on the Amazon review page for this tascam product.

I'm still interested in it, that one and perhaps the yamaha-steinberg unit. Sweetwater has a great price on the Tascam for the next few days.

Latency isnt going to bother me with playback only, I suppose. I could set it somewhat high.