Need big help to install Seth and old Dimarzio in Dean Evo SS

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gang twanger, Apr 12, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

OK, here's my situation. I'm sitting in my living room with Aenima (Tool) blasting on my stereo, and both of my guitars are stringless on the floor. I have to change a p/u on each of them.
    The first is a Dean Evo SS, with two (Man, I love this album) HB's and a body that's almost completely shaped like a Les Paul except where the upper part of the body meets the neck (just a very slight change in the slope, just enough to keep them from getting sued). Right now it still has the stock HB's (The neck one is OK, but the bridge one has just plain GOT TO GO). It has the L.P.-ish three-position toggle switch in the upper right corner, and the PRS-ish single volume and tone controls, each with a pull-pot switch for single coil sounds on each p/u. A stop tail bridge, a 3 on 3 headstock, and that sort of thing. I just recieved a used Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH-55 Neck HB in the mail today (It looks like a two lead to me), and I also have had this old (4 lead) Dimarzio HB from around the early '80's that has a chrome cover with a stenciled (I think that would be the right word) fiery sun on it with a circle inside it (Picture a solar eclipse, only stencilled with no colors). It looks to have a a brass baseplate with no polepiece adjusters, instead only one screw in each of the four corners and DIMARZIO PICKUPS in the middle with MADE IN THE USA underneath it. I'm giving all this information because I bought it used in 1985-86 and I still don't know exactly what model it is. I'm hoping because it had to be from around the early 80's, that maybe it's a PAF-style, because it would go well with the Duncan Seth.
    (The Very Best of Cream just started playing)
    By the way, I had a thread like this up before but I could'nt find it.

The other guitar is a 1988 Fender Strat Plus that came with three gold Lace Sensor p/u's (I replaced the bridge one with a red L.S. a couple of years ago, and I think I did it wrong because the Strat has not been quite right since). It has a standard Strat vol/tone/tone control setup but the bridge has the TBX control where 1-5 is the normal tone control spectrum and 6-10 is boosted highs I think. Since I got the Dean Evo, I've been itching to put the gold bridge Lace back in, and now that I've got the Seth neck HB, I figure I might as well change both.
    If someone can help me with a web link to a site with detailed instructions for my type of situation, that would be really great.
    Thanks in advance.

Edit: In the following diagram, which color wires represent the two main leads. I've decided (at least for the moment) that I'd like to save myself some trouble and just wire it up as if the split-coil option didn't exist on the Dean. Can I, and how do I accomplish this? I'm thinking that if I do it this way, it will motivate me to finish wiring the Strat. Go to the following link:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol_1tone_split

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Bump.:BOUNCE

Banana Man needs YOUR help!

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Read the edit at the bottom of the first post and refer to the link.

By the way, I can see why people put pickup questions in the effects section. There's really not much traffic here.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

dude, relax, you bumped 4 times in 12 hours, nighttime hours at that! you're in the right section, as posts in the "effects" section tend to get lost in the racket pretty quickly.

measure the dc resistance of that dimarzio and you'll get an idea of what it is, and whether it's suited for the neck or the bridge. generally, if it specs at a higher dc resistance than the other pickup, put it in the bridge.

it's pretty easy to skip the push-pull option, just wire to the "pot" part of the push-pull, ignoring the "switch" part.

the braid of the duncan goes to ground, and the center wire goes to one side of the 3-way switch.

if the dimarzio colors are the same as current models, put the black and white wires together, tape them off so they don't touch anything else, the red wire goes to the 3-way switch, and the green wire goes to ground. the bare wire always goes to ground no matter what.

if it sounds weird and thin in the middle setting, swap the red and green wires around.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Thanks. I've got a fair case of OCD, so stuff like this just makes me crazy. I actually fell asleep early last night sitting in my computer chair with the guitar on my lap, and when I woke up around 6 o'clock this morning, it was still there (I'm glad I don't roll around much when I sleep).
    I've spent the last 2 hours trying to understand the diagrams for the setup I have. It's definitely more difficult when you have 2 different brand pickups twenty years apart from each. Right now I'm just trying to figure out the color code for the wires in the Dimarzio (why can't they just make red positive and black negative and leave it at that// I'm terrible with anything technical, and the OCD makes it ten times worse). I think I may actually figure this out though, hopefully. The info you gave me is actually a huge part of what I was looking for, so thanks. And thanks for being patient with me. I'll get it done one way or another.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm going to try taping the black and white wires together on the Dimarzio. The thing that worries me is that the red and white wires are longer than the green and black ones.(that may be from me trying to install it in another guitar about 15 years ago. Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

8. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

To install the Dimarzio, solder the black and white wires together and insulate them with electrical tape or shrink tubing so they don't touch anything. Don't just tape them together, this will not work. Connect the green wire and the shield (uninsulated wire) to ground. Typically this is the back of one of the pots. The red wire is hot and should go to one side of the toggle switch.

For the Duncan, as stated in the above post... the braid goes to ground, and the center wire goes to the other side of the toggle switch.

Hopefully this is understandable. If not then I suggest taking the guitar to an experienced tech for installation. Good luck -Frank

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Well I got the two HB's hooked up and working. Or I should say the Seth Lover in the neck position is working properly. The Dimarzio is working, but it seems like it should be much louder than it is (I already checked pickup heights, so it's not that). The Seth sounds amazing. It's so warm and smooth; you instantly want to play jazz riffs with it.
    If anyone has an idea on what the problem could be with the bridge p/u, please let me know. All this effort was still worth it, just to hear what the Seth sounded like, and it sounds GOOD. Thanks for the help thus far.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I forgot to refresh this page, so I posted before I saw what you had said (typed). As far as I can tell, I did everything like you guys said. I just have the Dimarzio issue to deal with. Thanks for the help. At least one is working, so I'm nowhere near as frustrated. Now I can stop, take a breath, and sit and play a little bit. Then I'll get right back into this. I put this page on my favorites list so I won't lose it again. Thanks.

Edit- I think I have the Dimarzio working. I guess I didn't have the p/u height adjusted as well as I thought. I'll play it for a while to make sure. One thing's for certain; I definitely have to get another Seth at the beginning of next month.
    By the way, the Dean Evo looks way better with two covered HB's than it did with those ugly zebra p/u's that came with it. I really hated those things. Not Les Paul'y at all.

11. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Well, I played the Dean for a day, and everything seems okay (by the way, it looks so much better with the covered HB's instead of the zebra ones-- It looks just like a Dean Solstice w/ the burst finish). The only issue I have is that the Dimarzio is a bit on the bright side, and it's hard to find a happy medium between the two when adjusting the EQ. When I get another Seth Lover for the bridge, it should sound better and more balanced.

Thanks for all the help, everybody. I would never have gotten through this without it.