Need Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Joshua Bernstein, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

Hi all,

Was wondering if the Hi-Fi side of TGP could give me some recommendations for my turntable system.

I'm currently using a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon Red cartridge, a sort of homebrew tube phono preamp into a Luxman R-117 with Phase Technologies PC80 speakers. My problem with these speakers is they are all treble and bass, and I really like a more mid-centric sound. The Phase's have great sub bass and treble, but I want something with a sweet liquid midrange with less bass. I know I like the sound of the turntable, preamp, and stereo because the headphone out sounds fantastic into all of my reference voiced headphones and IEMs.

My budget is somewhere around $700, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

How do the PT speakers sound with other inputs assuming you do CD/DVD/Bluray or tape (cassette/reel to reel if it isn't budget gear), FM or computer audio? I realize you may not do any of the other formats.

Another big factor, at least in the bass, is where the speakers are positioned in the room. Too close to the back wall (or worse the corner), and the bass can be poorly defined, "boomy" and may be higher in amplitude ("louder") than the rest of the speakers frequency response. This behavior is even more pronounced if the speakers are ported, especially on the rear of the cabinet as opposed to the front.

It looks like your speakers are about ~13 years old and relatively inexpensive. There are probably a lot of choices in the $700 price range, especially used...always more bang for the buck there.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a pair of Golden Ear Aon 3 mini-monitor speakers. They have very good bass but are very well balanced top to bottom (I listen to bluegrass all the way to Black Sabbath with lots of female vocal which they do wonderfully.) The speakers have a ribbon tweeter that I like a lot and a total of 4 drivers per speaker. The main Golden Ear designer worked for Polk for many years. They have won many awards and there are a lot of reviews online.

I was going to say that they don't come up for sale often but there are 3 pair on eBay right now! I have moved on to KEF LS-50 Wireless speakers which are considerably more expensive (and being a wireless, powered speaker...a lot more fussy) than the Aons (which retail for $1000 the pair). I have considered selling my Aons but haven't made the move yet. I must also recommend putting any "bookshelf"/monitor speaker on a good steel stand (mass loaded with sand, kitty litter, etc.) so budget another $100-150 there.

So, I'm sure you'll get a lot more recommendations, most of them based on member's own systems (just like me).:D

3. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

for the sweet mids : British loudspeakers are your friend
    Audition models in your price range from B&W, Monitor Audio, KEF, Mission, Wharfedale

best of luck !

ddog and Joshua Bernstein like this.
  4. maxmayer

maxmayer Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Joshua Bernstein likes this.
  5. adi

adi Member

B&W 606

6. adi

adi Member

7. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

You might enjoy Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. They have very rich/fulsome mids, delicate/relaxed top-end, and surprisingly satisfying bass.

Oh, and real wood veneer too!

These typically retail for $499, but if you wait a couple of months they will probably be discounted to $399 during the holiday shopping season.

https://www.musicdirect.com/biggest...denton-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-pr

ddog, adi and Joshua Bernstein like this.