Need compact midi footswitch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ScottB, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for a compact midi footswitch.

I'd like to have direct access to at least 4 midi patches in the smallest possible footprint. The application is to control the presets on my Zinky Superfly.

Right now, I've got a Midi Buddy, which works fine. I've found I really only use 4 of the presets and I'd like to free up some space on my board.

I'm aware of the high runners: Behringer, Roland, TC Electronics, Midi Mouse, etc. These are all too big or only have up/down/select capability.

I've got an Axess elctronics MFC5 on order (which is exactly what I'm looking for!) but he is apparently having some production/parts sourcing issues and hasn't been able to ship and doesn't know when he will be able to.

Does anyone know of anything else that would fit the bill, or alternatively:

1) someone who would build one at a reasonable price

2) resources that would allow me to build one myself

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

2. TippyRacer

TippyRacer Member

Seems as we are on the same page, I always wanted something like this too.
    Just bumping incase anyone has any suggestions.

Tommy

3. ScottB

Dude!

You got my hopes up!

Yeah, I'm pretty much resolved to waiting for Axess at this point.

I'd definitely be willing to build (or cannibalize) something to get what I want though....

Anyone....Bueller....anyone

Scott

4. hbar

hbar Member

What are the dimensions of the midibuddy, anyway? And is it completely programmable? I mean, can I set a button to send whatever signal I want? I'm needing some sort of midi capability for my PODxt, particularly tap tempo and fx on/off. All those are controllable via midi, but can the 'buddy be taught to send those signals? Man I hope this makes sense. My brain only barely has a midi on it. ;)

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

The MFC5 will be the one to wait for though!

6. Yek

Yek Member

MFC5 is a great device.

Or find a second hand Roland/Boss FC-50 ...

7. enditol

enditol Member

Find a used Rocktron Midimate, that should work for you.

8. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Tech 21 midimoose will be available in April, it may do the trick for you.

9. solo-act

solo-act Member

Thats what I use. Thought there'd be something comparable out by now. I've always hated midi controllers that had you stepping through banks, and didn't let you name the patch and see it at your feet. --E

10. ScottB

I'm pretty much a midiot myself.

The midibuddy just sends a midi signal 1-128 or 0-127. The signals are accessible in banks of 10 (10 buttons for direct access at any given time).

All I use it for is to trigger the presets on my amp, but you can set up your other devices to do whatever associated with a particular midi program. I.e. the midi signal "13" could trigger preset #13 on your amp and that could also be associated with a delay setting on a rack mount and a distortion setting...

Basically you just need to program the other midi triggered devices to do a certain thing when they see that program change.

So, in short the Midibuddy is pretty simple. All it does is send a midi signal and indicate the number of that patch on a display. It doesn't allow you to name the patch and save the names, etc - just a number. As I understand it, the programmability is generally in the devices that get triggered.

As far as size, it is 17" x 5" x 1.5" which is comparable to the other ones being talked about here. I've looked at most of these. Unfortunately, the midimoose is the same length as the - buddy, just a tad shallower. What I need is like a midipony (somewhere between a mouse and a moose!)

The Axess MFC5 is 7.50"W x 4.75"D x 1.25"FH x 2.00"RH, which would free up about two pedals worth of space on my board. The Roland is only marginally smaller than the - buddy, so it doesn't really make sense for me.

Anyway, thanks for all of the input.

I'd still be interested in any info anybody has on building a midi switcher. I need a new project.

Scott

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Gobs of DIY info here:

http://www.audiomulch.com/midipic/
    http://www.maxmidi.com/diy/index.html

There's a bit of a learning curve though, since microcontrollers and light programming is involved. Certainly not a weekend project - more like 3-4 weekends. I'd wager that by the time you get everything DIY'd, you'd have spent $225 and the MFC5 would be ready :)

12. g-nem

g-nem Member

Looks interesting- any idea on whether the midimoose will be able to do CC?

The axxess is pretty spot on, but I wish there was one with 5 switches per bank, and an expression pedal input. I love the the idea of the default program when you step on a switch the second time.

13. vinni

vinni Member

14. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Anyone know how much the Masotti costs?

15. theelectic

theelectic Guest