need crushed glass "Panama" sound in a pedal

presence

What would you recommend to get that crushed glass "Panama" tone? Playing through a Princeton. I've been listening to some demos of various Marshall in a box pedals and they are lacking in the crushed glass dept. If you don't know what I mean, listen to the song... Thanks...

Space Jazzer

What would you recommend to get that crushed glass "Panama" tone? Playing through a Princeton. I've been listening to some demos of various Marshall in a box pedals and they are lacking in the crushed glass dept. If you don't know what I mean, listen to the song... Thanks...
It's a hard one to replicate. I've found its not just about the distortion per se, it's also about a short delay with hi-pass filtering going into a reverb (plate style usually works best for me when I'm in Van Halen-mode), and then some modulation at that. I know you're asking for the distortion part of the sound, but to get that sound that you hear on the recording, you pretty much have to work with time based effects as well. AT least I do. As for distortion, I use the BE channel on my BE100, with bass, treble and mid around 8, presence set high depending on the room. I would suggest a stiffer distortion pedal with a lot of sizzle and chew. Wampler Pinnacle comes tom mind.

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Wampler Pinnacle would probably be your best bet, but there's a limit to how close you can come with a small Fender combo no matter the pedal. Also the effects are stereo, it's a pretty much dry signal on one side, and the delay, reverb and Eventide harmonizer on the other.

Space Jazzer

Wampler Pinnacle would probably be your best bet, but there's a limit to how close you can come with a small Fender combo no matter the pedal. Also the effects are stereo, it's a pretty much dry signal on one side, and the delay, reverb and Eventide harmonizer on the other.
Ah, right! Forgot about the stereo part. It makes a HUGE difference.

Have you considered the MXR EVH 5150 pedal? Not trying to be snarky here. Gets great reviews and the demos I've watched sound pretty spot on for Eddie's brown sound.

Or Wampler Pinnacle, as mentioned above.

I don't think a standard Marshall-in-a-box pedal will quite get you there. That ultra hot-rodded Plexi tone isn't a typical Marshall tone (in my experience and opinion). It's too high gain for normal Plexi's and voiced differently from higher gain JCM's and such.

direneed

For just home jamming into a clean amp platform, I find the Mad Professor #1 to be pretty good at those kinds of tones.

jAcKoFsPeEd

The La Grange just came out in the last few weeks, so it will take a while for all the video reviewers to get their hands on them. It has tone options a plenty where the Marvel is limited. Take a look at the JHS @ Timmons also. With the 25,50,100 watt switch, and twin treble and presence controls it's a contender.

BadMonkey007

I'm a freak of MIAB and i tested a lot over the years. i sold the pinnacle deluxe and bought the JCM Anniversary. he has JMP mode nailed the EVH tone perfectly but this edition limited to 100 units. If you can get used this pedal is perfect for you. Another option Maxon ds830 a very underrated pedal and much better than the pinnacle. ds830 + plate reverb (Lexicon Algorithm) trust me you will not regret.

Trending Topics