Need Dental advice from Dentists here....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by neastguy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

so I cracked my top left farthest back molar... its been a while and finally went to a dentist... starting to ache a bit.... anyhow he gave me these two options..

extraction- he said if you had to pick a tooth to pull .. this would be the one to pull... least important and way in the back.. in so many words ($290) (although at the end of discussion he said he personally would go with root canal for himself, but you have to think about the cost and weigh the options)

root canal- he would have to send me to an oral surgeon ($1400ish) and then back to him to get a crown on top ($1200 ish) ... most likely I'd have to pay for all of this out of pocket... I can't remember why he said that he couldn't do the root canal himself.. but I believe he said since its in the back and it could be complicated... :dunno

anyhow, I'm leaning toward extraction because of the amount of money.. this is a new dentist I've never been to before.. so I have never had work done before ...

any advice?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Do you have insurance? Ask your friends for a dentist recommendation. I used the same dentist for the first 35 years of my life and then he retired. I took a while to find one I could trust. Not saying they aren't trustworthy but my exwife was a dentist wet dream. She had genetically poor teeth and every single year it was thousands out of pocket. Me in the other hand do not have a single cavity or filling.

Good luck. For what it's worth my wife had a similar situation. She had it pulled because I refused to pay. She actually tried to use that against me in our divorce proceedings. Lol

3. neastguy

I have crappy insurance for dental.. only covers cleanings and fillings and then a max of $500 a year... so that root canal is going to be out of pocket and most likely the extraction..

I don't mind the extraction.. I just don't want it to mess up the rest of my teeth by losing that tooth.. he didn't seem to think it would..

4. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Pm Lefort- he's a dentist here. Prr

5. drewl

drewl Member

Yeah, I need the same thing.
    So f-ing expensive. You'd think by now they could just extract the original and replace with a some type of copy for a decent price but nooooooo......

6. Vibro

Vibro Member

I just had the same tooth removed. An oral surgeon did it because of the main nerve back there that runs down the jaw. You dont want to damage that.
    Just have it removed, you won't miss it.

7. snouter

snouter Member

Personally have ZERO dental. Enjoying a hamburger and fries one time and felt like I was hit with a sledgehammer in the jaw. Fortunately there was no root canal needed, just a cap. $1,500 at a dentist in Westport, CT. I visited him over six months prior complaining of weird sensitivity but he could not find the crack, no charge but still. That was never discussed later and not sure if it could have been repaired before it finally broke.

8. Belmont

Belmont Member

extraction is the worst option for many reasons, get the crow or my an implant, but they're even more expensive and costly.
    I'm not a dentist but I'm a longtime veteran patient.
    try a University or ask your dentist if he belongs to a study group or college, you may get it discounted or free.

9. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I'm on my work to work right now, but you can PM me.
    I can use my own "as a patient" experience as an example of what I went thru to determine rootcanal-vs-pull-it.

Or we can talk on the phone.

Or I can do it here in front of the world (I got no secrets).

No time to type until maybe lunchtime (1 PM Pacific)

10. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Extraction is not the way to go - it's the budget solution to a serious issue.

If you can't afford your Dentist and Oral surgeon fees - look up the Dental
    Schools in your area. They do work at a significant discount.

The issues you might have - is the students may cause you some serious
    discomfort (they are learning on you after all) - but you will get quality work.
    All procedures are supervised by a working Dentist. I can tell you
    that most of the students would kill to get a real root canal and crown job.
    Most of what comes through is basic - cavities etc....

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I'd recommend getting a second opinion about the root canal and crown option from a different dentist.

12. neastguy

Lefort I have no secrets :).. they took a fancy 3d shot of my skull.. even showed my sinuses.. ect.. pretty cool.. you can see about half the tooth in broken off.

if I get a second opinion .. I'd probably have to get xrays again... each time I go to a different dentist its going to cost me... maybe I can get the disc from the dr. .. I feel like the longer I wait .. the more this is going to get worse... I'm popping 2 advils ever 6 hrs...

13. NAC25

NAC25 Supporting Member

Root canal. Mine was big bucks too, but my dentist gave me the same two options and his personal recommendation was to get the root canal. He too couldn't do the work in his office. It's rocket science. Really, it is. You want a pro to do the work, and I'd recommend listening to your dentist's recommendation for who he thinks should do the work.

I had one done around about 1997, and no issues. Glad I did it.

14. neastguy

if I do the root.. I'll be paying that thing off forever :(

15. Stew

Stew Member

Why does it need a root canal? If the root's healthy, they should be able to just do a crown. The thing about pulling, there's a thing called super eruption. You can look it up for a good explanation, but it's when the tooth above/below the one you pull gets messed up because it doesn't have support anymore. If the tooth above/below is making good contact with other teeth then there's less problem.

16. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

If you are considering a root canal and crown, my brother goes right across the border in Mexico and gets the work for a fraction of what it costs here. That's an option you can easily research. Me, I have no insurance so for that last molar-I'd have it extracted.

17. explorer rob

explorer rob TGP=Tickoff Great Players

My thoughts exactly. A few friends did this and saved thousands. There's actually a small economy there that caters strictly to visitors.

18. shibby

shibby Member

First off, if you can, always try to save the tooth provided that is a good long term option.

Did the fracture expose the nerve of the tooth? If so, you definitely need a root canal if you want to save that tooth.

However, if there is no nerve exposure, there is a possibility that you can get a crown done without a root canal.

This is all impossible to determine with just writing about it here, but you should ask your dentist about this.

If there is no nerve exposure, try getting a temporary filling there and wait a week or so to see the the pain subsides. If so, then just get a crown maybe.

Again, all this is just speculating with no real hands on diagnosis.

good luck to you!

19. Structo

Structo Member

I will never bitch about the medical and dental insurance I have through my wife's work.

$5 office call.

$45 co-pay for a gold crown.
    Gold is cheaper than a porcelain crown.

I had that same molar removed when I was younger and poorer and didn't have decent insurance.

The reason that tooth can be pulled is because it is the last in the row and the teeth won't move to fill the gap.

My choice was $75 for the extraction or $700 for the crown and a possible root canal $400 if the tooth is unstable.
    And that was back in the 90's.

20. neastguy

they did a 3d scan of my teeth.. he says I need root canal... may be my fault.. this tooth has been cracked for about 5 month.. didn't start to really hurt until several weeks ago..

on a side note... my wife just called me and told me she cracked her bottom farthest back molar today... this is crazy!!!!! she is calling for an appt now...

with all this in mind.. I may just have to bite the bullet.. there is no way I'm paying for two root canals.. at least.. she will probably need a crown .. and that 1k probably.. we shall see