Need electronic advice for telecaster!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by babond, May 25, 2008.

1. babond

babond Member

So I'm looking at getting either an American telecaster or a Thinline Telecaster (with single coils). I love the look and feel of telecasters but I'm not after the classic tele tone. I want a bit of a heavier sound (not metal) yet I want to retain clarity. Maybe a step below a hot rails pickup. Also I know nothing about capacitors and how much difference they make?? Would it be smart to change from a 250k pot to a 500k pot with a high output single coil? Also for the record I only use the bridge pickup in most cases.

2. Relicaster

Relicaster Member

get a hot output pup/ 500k pot / .02 cap/ and forget the neck pup completely.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I think Rellcaster is refering to making it an Esquire,which will be a whole to realm to a unique cool sound. Very versitale.

4. Relicaster

Relicaster Member

make it an esquire with a three way switch-
    pos 3) coil tap
    pos 2) bridge with capacitor
    pos 1) no cap at all... EVH style!

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

This is incredibly subjective since your definition of "heavier sound" is probably unique to you. Esquires are fantastic. So are teles with Barden pickups and a 4-way switch. And who's to say that a tele with a humbucker in the bridge isn't the answer? There are fine examples of each of these types of guitars on TGP, each with their own merits and drawbacks. Your ears and your wallet must guide you.

6. babond

babond Member

wow...that esquire three way sounds tight! what kind of sound do you get with no capacitor? i didn;t know you could run a pickup without a capactitor? what is the point of a cap. really?

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

It puts a whole new perspective on jangle. Great for cleans and overdrive. The dirt sound of the 3rd position comes to life with added volume. Whatever pickup sounds good in the bridge location of a Tele, it will sound a bit better and different in a great way.

8. Bob V

Bob V Member

One popular mod for telecasters is to put in a four-way switch instead of the usual three position selector. The fourth choice will be the two, single-coil pickups in series rather than in parallel. This gives a beefier, hotter signal with more midrange honk and punch, yet still retains the character and sparkle of a telecaster. This is a reversible mod and you still retain the original three sounds, and of course is much cheaper than pickups.

9. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

Adding on to what Bob V said... when the two single coil pickups are in series the tone resembles the tone of a LP with both pickups on (middle toggle position). Also, using the Tele as an Esquire is one thing, but I, personally, would not remove the neck pickup. For very strong single coil Tele pickups check out Harmonic Designs.