Need Gear Advice - Amp Direction

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hathisisfunnyha, Jul 16, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I recently unloaded my current setup, which until I figure out how to modify my signature will remain in there. I had bills that needed to paid and so I went to just an acoustic.

But a week later I really have the itch for an electric setup that I can crank

I have owned pretty much the entire gambit of amps
    Blackface PR
    Blackface DR
    Fargen Mini Plex
    Marshall JMP
    Tweed Princeton
    Marshall 2061x
    Marshall Bluesbreaker
    Silverface TR
    /13 JRT
    /13 LDW

I am torn between going Matchless (Chieftain or HC-30) or Komet (K18 or K60)
    I know they are pretty unique tones but they are above and beyond the best rock tones on the planet

I am most likely going to be running a Nocaster, with a board of Boost, Analog delay and some Fuzz. So it would need to be able to accept pedals without much disdain.

Any suggestions? or people with a similar setup that can speak from experience?

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Looks like you're into pretty straightforward amps both American and British flavored, so I'd highly recommend checking out a Goodsell. I played a few last week and I was blown away.

3. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I've played some Goodsell. Great amps but nothing really over the top about them. I think that's why I'm heading the direction of the big guns in Boutique world. I want an amp that I turn on and its kicks me in the ass

4. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Ha, fair enough - but for that I'd recommend a Deluxe, which it sounds like you've gotten over.

Man I sure hope that day never comes for me.

5. ahab

ahab Member

Check out the Tophat line, there are some amazing amps to be had there.

6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Two-Rock Classic Reverb...plenty of ass whoopin clean there that is a prime platform for pedals. Or hell, any Two-Rock for that matter as you don't have their name in your list of well-respected amps you've tried. That will likely run for more than you sold your BFDR for...so not sure how feasible, but there are plenty available in the secondary!

7. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I was really interested in the Jet for awhile but I guess my only concern with Two-Rock is that it seems every year or two they have a new version of everything and its supercedes the $$$ tag with a bigger one

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

9. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

My best advice is get out and play some stuff. Play everything you see. Then get the one you like best. Fortunately you're located in an area where you probably have pretty good access to amps that you can road test without having to purchase them first.

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I would not play any amp for a while ( like a month ).........still practice of course, but without an amp.

Then plug in your old favorites and there's good chance you'll get that kick in the ass......

Sounds like you may have ear fatigue, or your ears have become a bit " jaded "

happens to the best of us, I've gone through it myself.

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

^^^ I just re-read your post and notice my answer makes no sense ....I misunderstood.

sorry :jo

12. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Gabriel Voxer 18 or 30. Worth a shot...