Need Guidance Amplifying My Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by CrazyFingers, Mar 4, 2008.

1. CrazyFingers

CrazyFingers Member

I need an acoustic amplification primer. I've been playing for almost 20yrs but have an opportunity to play with a full band.

Guitar: Taylor 412 grand concert (no electronics)
    Band: 2 electric + 1 acoustic + bass + drums = acoustic needs to cut through!
    Music: Beatles, Eagles, Stones, etc.

I play with a pick and fingerstyle.

Current amplification
    Acoustic pickup:
    - I have a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup that is ~10 yrs old and hasn’t been used much.

Electric Guitar amps
    - Roland Cube30
    - Fargen BB40 (nice, clean Fender Blackface with lots of headroom)

I really don't know where to start.
    - do I run DI into our PA or do I need an amp?
    - if I need an amp, can I use my Roland or Fargen or do I need a special acoustic amp.
    - should I get one of the DI boxes (e.g. Roland AD-xx)?
    - will the Fishman work or should I consider another pickup/PUP system?

Of course, I plan to try what I have but would prefer some advanced knowledge so I know what to expect.
    I am sure there are no "right" answers but would certainly appreciate the opinions of those who have done this.

I realize I'm asking a lot, but at this point any guidance you can offer would be extremely helpful. I've searched the site, found lots of material, and am getting overwhelmed.

Thanks!

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've used the Rare Earth Soundhole pickups, and usually go right into the board. I have two of them: The Rare Earth Blend is in my Collings C-10, and the Rare Earth Single Coil is in my '56 Gibson LG-2. I get very usable sounds out of them, and they withstand a fair amount of stage volume.

I have plugged them straight into a guitar amp, and gotten reasonably decent sound out of it.

The only thing I try to bring along is a Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ, just in case I need to tame an errant frequency or two.

3. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

The Rare Earth is a good pickup. Is it the single coil or the humbucker? The single coil will be somewhat noisier. If you'r band has a PA I would buy a pre-amp like the Baggs PADI. This will have a balanced line out which can also be powered by the PA's phantom power. The PADI will give you an interface to the PA and lots of control at your fingertips...or feet as it were. On the other hand if you want a good affordable amp you might consider an Ultrasound 30. This also has a line out to the PA and gives you a personal monitor that you can control. Plus it's just nice to have when you want to play around the house plugged in. This one has only 1 channel for the instrument but many acoustic amps have an additional channel for the vocals as well. All up to your budget. Hope this helps.

Jim B.

4. CrazyFingers

CrazyFingers Member

Thanks, Dave.

Just curious: When you use an amp, are you talking an acoustic guitar amp or something you can use with electrics as well? Reason I ask is that I have a nice Fargen amp with tons of clean headroom that may work well.
    [​IMG]

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Both.

I actually have a Fishman Performer Pro, which was an exceptional acoustic amp that Larry made about 10 years ago. Sadly out of production now...

But, I've also plugged straight in to a Pro Reverb and an Alessandro English, with very decent results.