• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Need guidance for a power amp for Synergy rack setup

Which set up would you recommend?

• Tube power amp (specify model, if you have a suggestion).

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Stick with the modeling power amp. It's good enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Please let me know what you guys might advise, based on a couple of options that I'm working through. I'm currently playing my SYN-2 set up in a home studio situation, using headphones almost all the time. Currently, I'm running the SYN-2 into my Two Notes CAB-M and using the power amp simulation in addition to cab IR's. The power amp simulation is OK and let's face it- it's simply modeling some EQ curves that one may get with a real tube power amp set up. It's decent enough.

I have run the SYN-2 into my tube amps via 4 cable method with good tonal results, but it's a sloppy and tedious set up that's quite messy and inconvenient (accessing back of racks, running cables everywhere, having to troubleshoot hum, flipping things around, etc.). I'd just rather consider a dedicated (preferably rack-mounted) power amp.

On the Synergy thread, some of you have commented that it's an acceptable idea to run the SYN-2 into a tube power amp and then into my Suhr Reactive Load to get back to line level. Since I'm not looking for big wattage, a simple tube power amp could do the trick. If you have recommendations for such a unit, please let me know- I know there's the discontinued Mesa 2020, the 20 watt Mooer Tube Engine, and of course for much more money, the Synergy 5050 (but I don't think need that much power and don't prefer to spend the big bucks, if avoidable). Your input is greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Any of the Fryettes and Mesas are great, and KSR is now building tube power amps too. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but their amps are really nice.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I’m running my SYN2 into the effects return of my 50 watt 6l6 amp right now, at the suggestion of some forum members. Good results so far, but curious if a low wattage mono rack mount tube power amp exists?

Last edited:

RipperShred

I’m running my SYN2 into the effects return of my 50 watt 6l6 amp right now, at the suggestion of some forum members. Good results so far, but curious if a low wattage mono rack mount tube power amp exists?
Fryette PS has a rack mount kit if you need to rack it... Pretty sure lol

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
For mono applications, the PS-1 works great and isn't expensive.
For stereo applications, I love my Two/Fifty/Two.

But I'll admit that if I was just trying to get signal into a DAW, I'd spend more time honing the IR path and not bother with a power amp.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Had a horrible experience with the Syn5050 power amp, and eventually returned it after spending a couple of weeks with Synergy trying to troubleshoot and fix it.

I've had success running it in an amp's effects loop, a Fryette power station and Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amps, but my favorite of everything I've tried is the Mesa Boogie Simul 2:90.

murkat

I like sea otters
Supporting Member
I'll be using my Koch ATR-4502 (which has been great for other pre amps) when my synergy's are delivered today, I'll let you know....
My syn-2 with Deliverance and Ecstasy moduals arrived shortly after my quoted post. I lost track of time! been having fun dialing in :).

Bottom line, The Synergy and Koch units are doing very well together! Very Happy.

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
May I ask what else you’ve been using with the Koch?

(And can it do it’s tone enhancing thing at very low volumes?)

ctreitzell

I’m relatively new to rack gear. I bought a used VHT 2502 to pair with my Syn2 and I am very happy with the results.
I just got a 2562 (6L6 version of 2502) last week and committed to a 2902 yesterday. These VHT/ Fryette power amps are jaw droppingly great; the best I know of...the only negative being the ambient level of the fan is loud...I don't know how loud the Power Station fans are; I'd guess they might be quieter, but I do not know.

I'm lucky (by design) and can play at high volumes pretty much whenever I like.

murkat

I like sea otters
Supporting Member
May I ask what else you’ve been using with the Koch?

(And can it do it’s tone enhancing thing at very low volumes?)
Sure.
Marshall JMP-1 midi pre amp out> A/DA STD-1> TC Flashback4> TC Hall of Fame 2> Koch ATR 4502
above is same, replace JMP-1 with Syn-2

In my opinion, I do not think any tube amp can do the tube enhance thing at very low volume.
BUT, any tube type amp is better than nno tube type amp. The Koch does well at low or high
volumes.

Electric I

Just ordered a Koch ATR 4502. Have had their Jupiter 45 combo for a year now & it's the best 'non-tube' amp I've played in decades of searching for a tube alternative. Have & love tube amps, but really wanted to get away from a heavy tube power section. And while it may not contain *all* the mojo of a full blown tube amp, it does have a certain something not felt in any other ss amp I've tried.

Here's an explanation from Dolf Koch, owner/builder:

"Our ATR series of hybrid amps the Jupiter, Startrooper and ATR4502 (see also the blog article about these amps), are designed in such a way that they react the same way to speakers as tube amps. Although they operate with mosfets to drive the speaker, their ouput power does not fall back to 50% if the impedance is doubled. This is one of the reasons why our ATR series of hybrid guitar amplifiers sound like real tube amps."

"Although their speaker outputs behave similar to tube amps you can safely disconnect the speaker and play them without a speaker or load connected. If you do that you will not damage anything."

Ftr - the Jupiter amps have 2 12ax7s - one pre / one power, while the ATR 4502 being only the power section (x2) of the Jupiter series, has just the one 12ax7 per channel.

tucsonsound

Just ordered a Koch ATR 4502. Have had their Jupiter 45 combo for a year now & it's the best 'non-tube' amp I've played in decades of searching for a tube alternative. Have & love tube amps, but really wanted to get away from a heavy tube power section. And while it may not contain *all* the mojo of a full blown tube amp, it does have a certain something not felt in any other ss amp I've tried.
Funny, today happened to be the day I finally decided to pick up one of these new-fangled solid-state amps, $200 for 300 wpc, crazy! I gotta say, so far I'm impressed running my Egnater/MTS/Synergy preamps through it right next to my Mesa 395. I might actually prefer it on Boogie module solo tones....

tucsonsound

Forgot the pic! Don't see why everyone raves about the convenience of solid-state... but it's sounding great!

Trending Topics