Need guidance for a power amp for Synergy rack setup

Which set up would you recommend?

• Tube power amp (specify model, if you have a suggestion).

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Stick with the modeling power amp. It's good enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Please let me know what you guys might advise, based on a couple of options that I'm working through. I'm currently playing my SYN-2 set up in a home studio situation, using headphones almost all the time. Currently, I'm running the SYN-2 into my Two Notes CAB-M and using the power amp simulation in addition to cab IR's. The power amp simulation is OK and let's face it- it's simply modeling some EQ curves that one may get with a real tube power amp set up. It's decent enough.

I have run the SYN-2 into my tube amps via 4 cable method with good tonal results, but it's a sloppy and tedious set up that's quite messy and inconvenient (accessing back of racks, running cables everywhere, having to troubleshoot hum, flipping things around, etc.). I'd just rather consider a dedicated (preferably rack-mounted) power amp.

On the Synergy thread, some of you have commented that it's an acceptable idea to run the SYN-2 into a tube power amp and then into my Suhr Reactive Load to get back to line level. Since I'm not looking for big wattage, a simple tube power amp could do the trick. If you have recommendations for such a unit, please let me know- I know there's the discontinued Mesa 2020, the 20 watt Mooer Tube Engine, and of course for much more money, the Synergy 5050 (but I don't think need that much power and don't prefer to spend the big bucks, if avoidable). Your input is greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Any of the Fryettes and Mesas are great, and KSR is now building tube power amps too. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but their amps are really nice.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I’m running my SYN2 into the effects return of my 50 watt 6l6 amp right now, at the suggestion of some forum members. Good results so far, but curious if a low wattage mono rack mount tube power amp exists?

Last edited:

RipperShred

I’m running my SYN2 into the effects return of my 50 watt 6l6 amp right now, at the suggestion of some forum members. Good results so far, but curious if a low wattage mono rack mount tube power amp exists?
Fryette PS has a rack mount kit if you need to rack it... Pretty sure lol

Trending Topics