Need heavy tone!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by garybeavers, Jan 16, 2006.

1. garybeavers

garybeavers Guest

hey. i'm looking for some input on finding a heavy tone. like a chug chug, bassy heavy tone. i play a LP standard and run through a Fender DRRI. any suggestions out there?

2. thebot

thebot Member

3. danut

danut Member

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

How can you possibly still need more bass with that setup .. throw it in Rhythm lower your tone setting and go! Otherwise the OD that I send back in exchange to Chad would do the trick I bet.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

lovepedal Black Magic
    BJF Dyna Red
    EMMA ReezaFRATzitz

6. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I'm not sure if the original post was a joke but the Deluxe Reverb Reissue (or even an original) is not noted as an amp for producing heavy "chugga chugga" sounds. Might be better looking at a different amp (Marshall or Mesa or something) driving a 4x12 cabinet.

7. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

have you tried a big muff? boss blues driver? good and cheap!

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

The Deluxe Reverb RI already sounds thinner than an original BF or SF. The other thing that you will probably have to do to make the tone thicker and get more bass tone is to disengage the bright cap on the Vibrato channel volume knob. When you do this, you'll find that all your OD's and distortions will sound smoother and that nasty transistor raspy tone will be gone. I really think you should look into doing this mod. Your sparkling clean tones will be gone, but unless you play mostly clean,you wont miss it. Just my .02

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Try a modded MT2!

Texsunburst69-
    The bright cap mod, is it C4 that gets clipped? I heard that it takes a long time to do the mod. I really have not pulled the chassis out of the cab, but I can't see how it would take more than 5 mins to do so.

Anyway, mine wasn't sounding too bad but I think one of my NOS tubes is on it's way out or going microphonic. I may change out the tubes, then do the mod.

Thanks!

10. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Tonebone Classic works great with the DRRI, no need to pull the bright cap. The TB Classic has a very versatile EQ to deal with most amp types the only thing is you need to run the amp on the clean side, to get more clean power i use all JJ tubes in my DRRI those tubes will actually add a tighter low end and take away that harsh treble every one hates.

Another pedal that works great is the Barber Direct Drive I found it worked better with the bright cap intstalled... at one point I removed the cap but found the amp kind of flat sounding with out it.

12. Nathan

Nathan Member

If you want chug-chug, look no further than a Hermida Grinder if you can find one. It really delivers in that respect. I searched a long time for a dedicated (boutique) heavy distortion box. Nothing came close to this! they'r ehard to find at this point, but alot of them sold here and on the HC effects forum. You could check ebay from time to time too. Maybe Alf will put them back into production some day, but for now, he's focussed on the other models!

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd go for a tonebone hot british. Smooth, heavy distortion with a versatile EQ, ability to set it so low you'll soil yourself or so high you'll get all the neighborhood dogs a-runnin, but still sound great! Def. the best distortion pedal I've ever heard