Need help buying a guitar cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otherface, Feb 1, 2012.

1. otherface

otherface Member

I had intended to go for an Emperor Cab, but they raised their prices recently, which made me think, why not buy used from guitar center where I can put it on a no interest payment plan? The problem is that I won't get to try them out side by side, or many of them in person at all. Now price really isn't an issue, but I have set a limit at 800. The options that I have are:

375 -- Mesa Vertical 212
    400 -- Mesa Recto 212
    550 -- Marshall 1960bx w/v30s and G12h 70th anni.
    600 -- Orange PPC212
    600 -- Mesa Recto OS Straight
    600 -- Fryette D412
    800 -- Orange PPC412
    800 -- Bogner 412ST (I believe this is the standard tan grilled bogner)
    800 -- Bogner Ubercab

I have only played the Recto cab with Mesa heads and have found it a bit shrill, but in general I find a lot of Mesa heads to be shrill without knowing how to dial them in. The Orange has always been one of my favorite cabs, but my head is a heavily modified JCM900 with red tolex, and aesthetically that wouldn't be ideal (though obviously if it gets the best reviews, as I think it may I would go with it).

I assume for my needs, which are small-medium gigs, mostly mic'd the difference is negligible between a 212 and 412, but what about for a loud practicing band?

I love G12h 70ths, but is the Marshall even close to the quality of Mesa, Fryette, Orange or Bogner?

How does the Ubercab sound compared to the Orange or any of them for that matter?

I use the modified JCM900, and sometimes a Jubilee or JMP mkII. Down the road I'd like a Ecstasy, Shiva, CAA/Suhr OD100/PT100 or Fuchs TDS. My style is heavily influenced by old McLaughlin and the hairier/psyched out fusion guys like Coryell or Sonny Sharrock, Gary Moore, Zappa and Hendrix. I need a warm clean tone and a thick, mid heavy and articulate lead. For overdrive I use an Ibanez MSL, but I am looking for something with a bit more muscle (maybe an OCD? But that is for another forum).

Anyway, hope that I can get some help!

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Now I am very biased and might not be a good judge for you. I dislike the vintage 30 speakers, they seem to break up unpleasantly to my ears, I like greenbacks for a very vintage vibe, the G12H30 for the best cleans and pretty good distorted tones, but lately the Scumbacks i have heard are amazing. Check out the Pete Thorn youtube demos, with the Suhr Plexi, CAA/Suhr PT100 and various guitars. They have the vintage and modern mojo depending on which you choose, the prices on the speaker are very good and an empty Avatar cab is pretty excellent price wise, durable and sound great.

my 2 cents, the cabs you mentioned are all fine, but i don't like most of the choices for speakers, and they seem a slightly bigger deal for me than the box, which is quite important, but the speakers will make or break the deal for me.

3. otherface

otherface Member

The most important thing is that I can put it on a year payment plan, no interest. If I buy these speakers and an avatar it'll end up being around 700-1000, and a lot of added interest on the CC. Whereas if I buy one of these, I can throw two scumbacks in now, another two later and spread out costs.

I would definitely try scumbacks; if any of these cabinets would sound good in combination with any other speaker I would love to hear. I have listened to a ton of the Pete Thorn videos recently, if only for the CAA/Suhr he plays.

Moreover, I have always been partial to fane based speakers so it is possible that I might switch to Webers or something of that sort.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I am mainly looking for any type of advice I can in this search. If the cab construction is mediocre, I don't want to bother.

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I would do the Marshall, it is good stuff. They have one of the finest woodworking shops out there and do the cabinets right. I have an avatar and marshall an the build quality might be just slightly nicer on the marshall.

good luck

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Within your budget,,you could get a real nice un-loaded cab from any of several makers,,and install speakers of your choice,, assuming the speakers are "reasonably priced".
    No need to just accept what a local store might have.

6. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Bingo. Of course, with so many speaker choices out there, making the selection can drive you NUTS. But I would absolutely consider an unloaded cab and put your own spkrs in. I have Avatar's Traditional 2x12 open oval-back cab; reasonably priced and good quality. Good luck-
    www.avatarspeakers.com

7. otherface

otherface Member

Thanks again for all the help; but as I said, a payment plan is the reason I have the high budget.