Need help buying a new acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Sonic Reducer, May 19, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I know what I want and don't want etc.
    I'd like to keep it under $1500 (If I had to spend a little more for a good one, that would be cool.) If you know of a good one that fits my requirements for much less, that's good too.
    I don't want an Acoustic with built in electronics.
    I don't want a cut away. I want a dreadnought.
    I like a decent size neck. Nothing too skinny.
    I don't fingerpick. Mostly strum chords and such. I play rock type music. The Who, Oasis, Beatles, Pearl Jam, U2, Radiohead etc.
    I was thinking about maybe some kind of Taylor, but am open to any make.
    I hope this can help narrow down some suggestions. Just looking for something that is pretty loud and alive.

2. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

You might want to check out a Tacoma. I've heard nothing but good things about them, however never played one. You might not like Taylor's if you're interested in a bigger neck. I used to own a 814 and could never get comfortable with the neck profile so I let it go.

3. BrentB6

BrentB6 Member

Used Guild D-55...period

4. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

How about a Martin D28? At $1600 give or take, it is one of the best deals in acoustic guitars. Not to mention, it IS the standard for which all other dreadnaughts are based.

5. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

Larrivee perhaps a D-05 or D-09.

6. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

I had a Tacoma that was pretty nice. It was a Koa. While koa is very pretty it just lacked something. I sold it and bought a used Breedlove for about $1500 and it is the best accoustic I have ever played. I have lower end (but still solid wood construction) Martin and Taylor's that are also very nice. The Taylor feels a bit fragile but I can't really say why. Good luck.

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Good advice...2nd that!

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

9. ssimon64

ssimon64 Member

Make sure you take the chance to try a gibson advanced jumbo. Very sweet, powerful guitar in the $1700-$1900 range.

10. BigRed51

BigRed51 Member

I realize that normal answers are required to either start with "spend more money and buy" or "buy what I just bought so I will feel good about my purchase," but my recommendation is well below the top range of your budget, and I don't own one. It sounds to me as though you are describing a Martin D-16GT. No electronics, standard dreadnought, substantial neck (but not chunky), very good projection, and a good, balanced sound that will stand up well to your strumming. I am confident that you will find it will beat any Taylor model substantially in the 'pretty loud and alive' category.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

+1 on the Guild D-55.

Along with its Jumbo sibling, this is Guild's flagship acoustic. IMHO, it's quite possibly the loudest dreadnought on the planet. It's got a great sized neck; I would say somewhere in the Martin-meets-Gibson arena. While most of these come with a UTS transducer, some are without electronics. No chunky electronics cut out of the side either.

These can be had used for around your asking price, and they come in Natural and Sunburst. Definitely one of the nicest looking acoustics around today. You should definitely keep the Guild in mind. You won't be disappointed.

12. apgrower

apgrower Member

i have a 98 guild d55 made inwesterly rhode island i want to sell asking 1500 has hang tags ohsc let me know

13. Songman

Songman Member

I think Larrivee D-09 is hard to beat under $1500.

14. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have a Larrivee D-03. I tryed Martins,Gibsons and Taylors before settling for a beautiful sounding Larrivee that was value priced under $1500.

15. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Taylor necks are too thin. Larrivee is a great value and the neck is usually not too thin.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

17. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

No matter what you might be aiming toward, definitely check out a Martin D-28 (it sounds like it would be right up your alley). I'd also check out a Larrivee D series guitar as well. Different tone than the Martin. I also did get to try a couple of the new Taylor GS guitars (spruce/maple and cedar/rosewood) and really liked the tone of the cedar/rosewood model. Brett

18. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

19. suttree

suttree Member

i think you should just go out and play a whole bunch of guitars without paying any attention to the brand name whatsoever, and buy the one that speaks best to you. there's only 2 kinds of guitars.. good ones, and all the other ones.

that being said, i'd say if you wanted to spend a bit more (ok a grand more, sorry.. forgot mine cost me that much), you could get into a santa cruz D/PW. they're pretty damned hard to beat. i have an OM/PW, and i'd put it up against any guitar on the damned planet, bar none (bring on your vintage ones, too).

a great bang for buck brand is alvarez-yairi (the yairi denotes japanese made, just alvarez is korean, or chinese). i got my DY-80K for $1100 CAD, tax in (a big deal in the land of 15%), case in from a store brand new (it had been there a while, but it's in great shape). i couldn't be happier. that's a steal for a top notch handmade guitar, with a spoke shaved neck, and beautiful tonewoods.

the larrivee bluegrass dreadnaughts are killer, great tone, chunky neck, right price.

one thing about the tacomas, i'd say go ahead if you live in a fairly humid area, but in the dry areas they crack quite easily (underbraced, IMHO). just my personal experience with that brand.