• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need help buying a pair of subs for a live band setup

spawn2031

Hey guys, I'm in the midst of putting together a new band project and am in need of some recommendation / insight on sub choices for my setup. The band will be playing mostly small to medium sized bars with maybe 1-200 people max if the places are packed. Currently, I have a pair of EV ETX35P tops and my knee jerk reaction is to go with the matching 18" subs for them but I am kind of concerned if they would be overkill for venues of that size. A smaller sub, maybe like the EKX 15" subs might be a better match due to the lower power, lower cost and well... much lighter and easier to move around, lol. Cost isn't really an issue here, it's just all about getting something that will be well matched for the job. Oh btw, I will be running all of this with a dbx driverack. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

sants

I would definitely go with the matching subs which are the etx18sp. You have some very nice tops and I’d be looking to keep all the gear on the same tier. You can always use one sub in smaller places.

You would also have some nice building blocks there and could add more etx18 down the road. Four of those subs with the tops makes for a very potent little system.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Oh btw, I will be running all of this with a dbx driverack.
not sure there's any need for the driverack, especially if you're using a digital mixer

+1 to going with the 18s; it's less about being louder and more about sounding deeper and better at the same volume

sants

not sure there's any need for the driverack, especially if you're using a digital mixer

+1 to going with the 18s; it's less about being louder and more about sounding deeper and better at the same volume

I second Walter. Most times when I have helped fix a band or venue pa it involved removing the driverack from a powered system.
If you are using standard amp racks and need dsp fine. If you are using an analog mixer and need to eq a room or time align ok.

This is also one of the reason I’d go with the etx sub to match your tops. a specific series is usually tuned and aligned to work with speakers in that line.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom