Need Help Buying The Right Disaster Area Midi Controller 4 Strymon BigSky

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

So here's my wants and maybe ya'll could steer me in the right direction as to which Disaster Area Midi Controller is for me.

- Banking Scroll Mode
    - Preset Scroll Mode
    - Ability to switch between Bank Scroll Mode and Preset Scroll Mode via midi controller
    - Ability to access all 3 presets in a bank via midi controller (even if it's like Strymon's MultiSwitch option where one button scrolls through the presets in a bank while on Bank Scrolling Mode that's A-OK!)
    - Constant access to "hold" or Freeze/Infinite button via midi controller

*Not required but would like*
    - compact size hopefully
    - tap tempo for Magneto mode only

Now if I can get a seperate cheap device that I can plug into the expression jack for tap tempo for Magneto mode only that would be awesome, and maybe someone could tell me what that product is.

And if any of this sounds weird I'm a compete newbie to midi controllers so take it easy on me

2. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Ask Disaster Area - they are, IME, very responsive and helpful.

3. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

You could do this on a DMC-4.

Might have to re-work the firmware to get everything the way you want it, but it's possible.

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Thx! How so? Just wondering what I need to tell DA when I order.

5. crxshdxmmy

I'd start with a list of what you want.

As far as layout goes, it's obviously up to what will suit you best... but I'd go with something like one of these two options:

Option 1

Top Right Button: Bank Up
    Bottom Right: Bank Down
    Top Left: Preset Up
    Bottom Left: Preset Down

Hold Top Right for Infinite/Freeze

[You could switch it so that the top 2 buttons are for banking and the bottom two are for preset scrolling.]

Option 2

Top Right Button: Constant Freeze/Infinite
    Top Left: Preset 1
    Bottom Left: Preset 2
    Button Right: Preset 3

Hold Top Right for Preset/Bank Toggle
    Hold Bottom Right to scroll preset or bank up
    Hold Bottom Left to scroll preset or bank down

[Or, as before, you could assign the bank/preset toggle somewhere else and use the top and bottom switches on the right or left to change banks/presets.]

Outside of tap tempo, either of those gets you what you're looking for in the most compact form factor. And actually, the DMC-4 has an expression port that you could run out to a tap tempo switch like the Disaster DMT-1.

I ran a DMC-4 on my board for awhile... but went down to a DMC-2 because I didn't really need all the extra bells and whistles. Just got a DMC-3T today to try out though. Interested to see how that works out.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Thanks so much Crxsh.

Can you explain in further detail please why you downsized from the 4 to the 2?

And do you want to keep the 3 over the 2?

7. crxshdxmmy

Put simply... I just didn't need all that the DMC-4 offered. I'll PM you w/ more detailed info info.

And I'm just testing out the DMC-3T for now. Not sure if I'll change, but want to give it a chance.