Need help choosing small amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fernando, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hi everyone. I have a Twin Reverb Reissue, which I love, but I'm planning to buy a second, smaller and lighter, amp. I just need something to play at bedroom levels and to work sort of a grab and go amp. The TRRi is great sounding IMO, but it is very heavy and I get lazy just looking at it.

So, I figured I might go for something a little different, with some features that are not present in the TR. My initial options are the following:

Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Hot Rod Deluxe

Mesa Boogie F-30

Mesa Boggie 50+ Caliber

Mesa Boogie Studio 22

I like Fender BF clean, as I play mostly blues. I'd want an amp that, besides giving me good clean tones, would also allow me to crunch it up to medium gain.

The 50+ Caliber is used and working OK but looks very old and is a bit rusty and the tolex is very worn out. The Studio 22 is also used and not mint either, but in a little better shape than the Caliber.

I'm aware that the Hot Rod might need some mods to rpovide a reasonable OD and maybe increase headroom. I like the DRRI, but I'm afraid it will not have plenty headroom from playing clean in a jazz trio.

I use a lot of pedals too, so it's got to be pedal friendly. Boutique brands are not an ption, since I can't buy their models in Brazil, were I live.

Any views? thanks!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Studio 22 is the one I'd go for. Surprisingly loud clean cleans!

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

yeah, i had a .22 for a while and it was a great amp!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

if you've got the dough, by far, a Fargen Blackbird.

just an awesome awesome amp w/ cleans to die for.

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

Just curious, what makes the Studio 22 such a better choice than the Caliber 50+? I have tested the caliber, but not yet the studio. So far, they seem very similar to me, besides the different wattage.

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I'd also suggest the .22 Caliber. The 50+ is getting pretty close to your twin, volume and weight wise when you add a speaker (is this a head or a combo?).

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

How about a Crate Powerblock and a cab?

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

The Caliber 50+ available is a 1x12 combo. It's a little heavy, but I'd say it has a little more than half the weight of the TRRI.

9. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yeah, I was planning to buy a Power Block anyways. It'll be a third, backup, amp, for me. The thing is, they're still not available here in Brazil.

Besides, although I'm aware than it can be a good backup amp and sounds pretty decent, I am looking for an amp with some character to be my number 2 amp.

But thanks, it is indeed a reasonable option, and for that price...

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The next question is then, if they have Mesa down there do they also have Rivera? Some of those are small and real nice.

11. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yes, as a matter of fact, thare is a Rivera dealer in Brazil. Didn't think of that. What would you recommend?

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Jake would be my favorite, but they don't make them any more. Quiana, Fandango, R30-112, R55-112, Clubster and Pubster are all candidates from one point of view or another.

Stuff that would not make sense to me would be the larger combos (they weigh a lot) or the Knucklehead Reverbs.

Best is to just go play everthing they have. Then you will know what you think of the sounds. All Riveras have a clean sound that can work for you. Some are quite small. The bigger differences are in the features and the sound of the drive channel.

And here in the U.S., used Riveras are much much less expensive than new ones. I don't know about Brazil.

13. Fernando

Fernando Member

Now the Rivera Clubster 45 1x12 combo is a major contender. Anyone know where I can find some clips?

Thanks