need help coosing amp. Bogner, Budda....or..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by R.Kirkland, Aug 21, 2008.

1. R.Kirkland

R.Kirkland Member

I will start by saying I play Blues Rock ,leaning more to the rock side (Joe Bonamassa , Eric sardinas , Billy Gibbons, Warren Haynes ) I primarily Play Les Pauls. I have had the Fenders and Marshalls and just looking for something a bit.... Not Versatile ... but more useable all around in the clean to clean breakup and then killer Overdrive. I would like more of a smooth Overdrive that is not flubby on the low strings but articulate throughout the fretboard . No buzzy fizzy Gain. whew....... is this just a pipe dream ? LOL
    Now The cost needs to stay about $2000 or less.

I have been looking at the folowing. not in any order.

Bogner Shiva ... only read good reviews but havent heard one
    Bogner Ecstacy .. same thing + little pricey
    Budda Sperdrives 30.. 45 .. 80 .. tonal difference I would hear from the three?
    Budda strinmaster again havent heard one but have only heard great things.
    also rivera .. No particular model in mind. I had a M100 for a few days ,as i got it dirt cheap just to flip it . it was a long time ago but i think i remember it being pretty impressive. However i know all there models are different animals.
    Effects loop is a must ( I like Delay on the back side )

These seem to be the ones i keep searching for but I am open to other opinions. I will say that there is no way I will pay 2g's for a 20 watt amp(or lower ) I got the chance to play a Duende and was highly impressed but quickly hit the stand by when he told me the cost. it was FULLY cranked and my ears were still intact and just could not see the value. For $2500 I want the "Option" to melt my ear drums. Not saying i have to have 100 watts but I dont want to be maxed out trying to cut through. 30 seems to be about the Min for me on that .

Is this normal ? OCD, ADD SUCKS...... well I hope I get some true help as i am about to drive myself NUTS.

Thanks in advance. oh and sound clips would be outstanding !!!!

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

I have owned many of the amps you're considering including Marshall, Rivera, Bogner(twice), and Budda (as well as Mesa, Splawn, Fender, etc). I recently bought a used Budda SD18 here for a grand and I may never buy another amp again. I would say the Shiva has the best cleans, but otherwise, the Budda is IT! THE BEST drive I've ever heard period. And don't be fooled by the wattage... 18 is LOUD. But they do have a 30, 45 and 80 so if you really want that (but you'll never use it).... I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Buddas. They can be had here frequently for quite a bit less than your budget... I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh, and I talked to the Budda guys a few times (bought a replacement handle and asked about tubes, cabs, etc) and they are top notch!

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

+1.

I've never tried Bogner, but I owned a Rivera Quiana for many years. It had an OK clean channel, terrible gain channel. I've also tried the Rivera Fandango and a few other Riveras. The Budda Superdrives walk all over them. My SD18 is the one amp I can say without hesitation that I will never sell.

a

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I would list my tastes, and favorite players very close to yours. I have had some of the amps you listed. The Buddas are great, and customer service is top notch. i have had an 18, 30, 45, and Stringmaster. My favorites were the 18 and 30. Both are plenty loud enough. I had a Shiva, but sold it when I got an XTC. I paid slightly more than you are looking to spend for the XTC though. Of the amps you listed, the best bang for your $ may be the Budda, especially used.
    Good luck.

5. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I have the Budda SD45 and have tried the Shiva, an ENGL SE and a H&K Triamp. The Budda is my keeper. Check out Budda's website, there is a link to Joe Bonamassa playing the SD45. Also when you call Budda and get put on hold, you will hear what might be Joe's best lick ever (from Reconsider Baby).

As an aside, have you tried the Silver Jubilee? That seems to always be the constant in Joe's amp lineup.

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I bought a used EL-34 Shiva head for $1500 for those exact reasons (Bonamassa / Gibbons / Haynes / Gary Moore). I haven't wanted a new amp since then - I'm VERY satisfied.

Stormin!

7. R.Kirkland

R.Kirkland Member

Very helpful everyone thank you ... I have been leaning more towards the budda regardless of price point but overall useability. I havent tried a Jubilee but I know they are amazing the problem is getting ahold of one at a decent price anymore i watched them go from about 2100 to close to 4000 in about a 6 month span. I think the bonamassa bug has bit alot of people. LOL . If i catch one cheaper I may snag it. But for right now I think ive been sold on a budda . now it is just picking which one. I really dont need 80 watts so should be easy from there right ? HA. Now watcha think Head or combo????

8. Stormin

Head - no question.

9. mitch236

mitch236 Member

10. R.Kirkland

R.Kirkland Member

Stormin i think I posted the same time as you the Shiva and budda are mainly the ones I have been back and forth on . The shiva Does have more featuers like seperate tonestacks and available reverb . I know the tones are there in both amps. they're just gonna be different. i tend to like el34 based amps more toooo....hmmmmm ......trying not to be a pain I just dont want another expensive let down.

11. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I had a Shiva and wasn't impressed at all. It seemed to lack the umpf that the Budda has when pushed hard. There's no doubt the Shiva had better cleans but when rockin out, the Budda kicks some serious butt!

12. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

This.

The Shiva was great, but seemed lifeless when played at high volumes compared to my SD30s.

:jo

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Those Shivas are nice. I also like the Budda, and they come in various tube configs and go for reasonable $$$ on the used marked. +/- $1000 for the heads... I stumbled into a SDII 30 watter a couple of months ago and have been pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much for some reason.

I played a Rivera K-55 head for many years, sold it last year, then got another (and sold it!). I don't think any of them were bought or sold for more than $675. DEFINITELY get the head format: K-55, Rake, Rake Reverb.

14. Stormin

The only minor thing about the Shiva is that I need to use an OD (Fulldrive II) to get either SRV on the clean channel, or 80's metal on the gain channel. This is something that I have no problem living with. For me, the Shiva totally works. My evolution for the Bonamassa / Gibbons / Haynes / Gary Moore tones was:

Boogie Mark IV -> Marshall TSL -> Soldano Decatone -> Mesa Dual Recto -> Splawn Quickrod -> Bogner Shiva.

I'm not going any further - I'm happy.

Stormin!

15. mitch236

mitch236 Member

You need to change your sig then! It still talks about the Boogie

16. Stormin

Totally different rig - but yes, the Boogie is now a Matchless :jo

17. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Just be aware that that is the smallbox head, and 2x12 cab, which is fine if that is what you are looking for. I personally have never played through the smallbox jubilee.

18. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Just my opinion, of course, but that sounds very much like a good clean amp and a couple pedals.

I can get those tones and textures with Heritage Colonial (used for $1250-$1350), an OD pedal and a gain pedal with somewhat different etxture and voicing. I use Barber LTD and Gaspedals Dumbbell for that. Total price (I traded for pedals, but factoring in trade value) was about $1500 ($500 under your budgest) and it sounds great. Amp very very well made and clever design with many voices possible...so it holds off GAS.

DS

19. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

I don't think you can go 'wrong' with any of your choices, and there's some exceptionally great info here. I've been a long time Budda user, they are AMAZING amps, but I've been wanting to try other flavors this year. I'm a huge Rivera fan--I have a Rake head and a 100 watt Bonehead is currently en route right now (tomorrow). Check out some clips on line, there's plenty of Budda/Bogner clips around. Having said all that, I feel it won't be long before I have a Budda back in the amp stable---for the rock/blues stuff, they are tough to beat!

You might want to look into Egnater as well--the guy has some great designs and ideas.

20. R.Kirkland

R.Kirkland Member

i really think I am gonna give a budda a go . but the 18 30 and 45 are all interesting but everywhere is sold out new, used is limited and there are only a few hundred difference betwen the three. So hmmmmm . from what I am hearing for my style the 18 and 30 might be more up my alley , and i can always add a 45 later down the line for a stereo rig. so start small (18) or Mid (30) ? an what about th 30 I ? any good on that or is the mid modern switch worth the wait? thanks again for the help guys my blood pressure is residing .... a little.