Need help deciding: Arturia Pigments or Prophet?

GA20T

I'm budgeted for one or the other as I'm also putting together some decent recording hardware ATM. Prophet is what grabbed my attention to begin with (amazing), but I've been playing around with the Pigments demo nonstop since I downloaded it and I'm finding all kinds of sounds that really immerse me in playing and get me down right emotional. And I've never been a synth/keys person. I guess I am.

Given I'm a noob, is there much overlap here? Can either do a lot of what the other can for the most part? I've still got a lot of work to do to figure it out for myself but I was hoping for some advice from those more familiar. Pigments is such a joy to work with, both in sound and in regards to the interface.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Get the one that helps you do what you want to do the most. Pigments will be able to cover more ground overall, but the Prophet will just plain have the hands on goods that a lot of people need/want.

JackJackdaw

I love Prophet as part of V collection but I would find it limiting on its own. Pigments covers a lot more ground and can really do anything. Also V collection synths are much better value bought all together. Arturia give heavy discounts to existing users so if you got Pigments now then V collection will be a lot cheaper later on.

GA20T

I love Prophet as part of V collection but I would find it limiting on its own. Pigments covers a lot more ground and can really do anything. Also V collection synths are much better value bought all together. Arturia give heavy discounts to existing users so if you got Pigments now then V collection will be a lot cheaper later on.
I ended up going with Pigments so that's good to know. Being new to synths/soft synths, this instrument is going to keep me busy, learning and engaged for a long time—a good thing.

Toowoombaus

Looks like this thread is a couple weeks old, but I really like Pigments, because it’s also a “wavetable“ synth.
Which The Prophet isn’t. I have both from Arturia and also a hardware Sequential Circuits Pro 3 synth which has some Prophet sounds from the filter.
The user interface on Pigments allows you to do a lot and to do it very quickly in an intuitive way especially if you are new to synthesizers I think it will help you grasp how the signal flow can work and how to modulate filters with envelopes etc.

Definitely spend some time on the tutorial that walks you through the various functions, and the more time you can spend understanding signal flow and how a synthesizer works the better because it’s completely different in many ways than guitar pedals, multi effects etc.
Last year I finally decided to learn what all the controls do and the quality of my sounds has improved quite a bit because I know what I’m doing not just turning knobs until something sounds good.

In many ways it is quite similar to the soft Synth Serum, because of the wave tables and a somewhat similar user interface. I think Serum can get a little more extreme and some of it sounds like ripping, tearing screeching sounds and Pigments can get pretty close too.

Those kind of sounds aren’t really available to that degree on the Prophet. It’s more of a standard analog synthesizer in scope. You can get in the ballpark emulating The Prophet with Pigments but not really The other way around.

I think at Christmas time they will have their sale again and then everything is cheap if you buy the whole V Collection. I got the collection for $250, and then Pigments was $49, also the effects bundles which I would highly recommend are very inexpensive too.
When I first found out about Arturia I didn’t know they had those kind of sales so I bought one standalone synth for $150 or $200 not knowing that the end-of-the-year sale would come and I could get 25 or 26 synthesizers for only $250. :(

GA20T

I've been diving into it and creating presets with all of my free time. What an instrument. Might be one of my best musical purchases ever in terms of enjoyment and creative potential. So much more for me to learn and explore with it still. And yeah, the interface is just great and easy on the eyes. Super happy with this.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
I started my Arturia journey about a year ago. Bought my Keylab MkII 61 used and that opened the door into Analog Lab. Then I bought the Collection V during the sale at the beginning of the pandemic, then the OBXa at a discount, and this past week I bought Pigments and the FX Collection, both deeply discounted. I can’t say enough about the quality and UI, and the repeat user discounted pricing is astounding. Wish other companies rewarded brand loyalty!!

GA20T

I was considering the Prophet V/VS combo product originally. I'm still going to play around with my demo some more if I can pull myself away from Pigments.

hawk45

Pigments has a ton in it and when on sale can be had for super cheap. I think I got it for like $90 last year on sale.
It's like with Ableton, if you wait for the one/two time a year sales, you save like 25%-50% and is worth the wait.

stevel

I was considering the Prophet V/VS combo product originally. I'm still going to play around with my demo some more if I can pull myself away from Pigments.
It's in the V Collection.

I would seriously recommend it. I bought it for the 250 price they have going now.

V-Collection has so many great synths in it and so many uses.

There are demos for most if not all the synths, and there's a demo for Analog Lab.

You could get Analog Lab which gives you sounds from all (or most) of the synths in V-Collection, but there's only a limited amount of editing you do (but still plenty of great presets - plus it lets you layer 2 synths at a time, pick presets on each, and add effects - like pedal effects so we're all familiar with those).

V Collection sort of "unlocks" Analog Lab - you still get Analog Lab but the functionality is "unlocked" and you can edit the synths directly within AL. Plus you get the individual VSTs for each synth as well as a standalone app.

Plus there are a couple of extra instruments in the V Collection.

The Mellotron is sick - not only do they have the original files, but YOU CAN IMPORT YOUR OWN!

I mean, you can play Pigments, save the sound as audio then import that audio into the Mellotron and play it up and down the keyboard. You can record yourself saying "Fame" and pretend to be David Bowie ;-)

60s Organs, Hammond, EP, Clav, Piano - etc. are all well represented as are most of the major players in the synth world - except the OB-X which they're selling separately now.

For the 250 price it made no sense to me to pay for 3 or 4 individual synths (though I'd love the Oberheim - but I have the FREE OB-Xd so I'm good - but if I get a great price on it in the future I may bite the bullet).

There is some wavetable stuff there, as well as FM, additive, sample-based, etc.

I've also got to say, the detail is meticulous. Some people complain about overly visual GUIs but I noticed on the CS-80 (famous for the Blade Runner soundtrack) the knobs actually reflect the letters below them AND they freaking change size and angle as the knob moves just like a real reflection!

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Preset management on Arturia bundle products (Analog Lab, V Collection, Pigments) is honestly so good. The UI designer(s) better be well paid, because it is such a breeze to find stuff in the ballpark of what you're going for. I love working my way down the sound categories.

I want a pad that is dark, complex, and evolving. Done. Click those three and you get a bunch of options to try out. It's like meticulous ID3 tagging for digital music libraries.

Trending Topics