Need help deciding on new guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sabsjl, May 14, 2015.

1. sabsjl

sabsjl Member

Hey guys! I'm looking to get a new acoustic guitar around USD$1400. Would like a OM / GA sized guitar, used mostly for strumming and writing songs with.

I'm currently looking at the Stonebridge/Furch G22CM, but am also considering Breedlove, Eastman and Larrivee. Would love your inputs into which you'd prefer or if you have any other recommendations. Thanks!

P.S I lean towards a warmer tone, nothing overly bright and in your face.

2. Duffy

Duffy Member

On South bank of Susquehanna River in North Centra
    I would suppose that living in that part of the World that it would be very rewarding to own a real nice US made acoustic like a Gibson or Martin, even a Taylor.

A nice Martin made out of real wood rather than the pseudo wood products that many of the cheaper ones are made of would be nice. At your 1500 price point I think that there are are few real nice all wood, even all solid wood Martin's available.

My Martin is a variation of the D13 but has a solid walnut body and it is wonderful. It's a dread made in '02, only 256 were made of this guitar. It is light and the sound is very beautiful. I got it for 580 out the door in super nice condition with a case. It is a well taken care of guitar with no problems. Finding this type of thing where you live used is probably out of the question. But there are a few brand new Martins that are very nice for your price. I think one is the all Mahogany DSR. They have one at a store by me, new, for 1000.

I also like Gibsons and hope that someday I might own one. Some of them are in your price range new. They have the shorter 24 inch scale and also have some characteristics that are different from other guitar mfgs.

I just purchased two Taylors and I can say that they are really super remarkable guitars with great sound systems and sound wonderful and loud unplugged. So, after ignoring Taylors for years I am now a fan. The truth speaks for itself; you play them and you can tell what's up. I like that Taylors have an innovative bolt on neck that can be adjusted by a tech in ten minutes and are really remarkable necks. The do not go out of alignment where the neck meets the body like some guitars do where the neck goes into contact and is glued to the rest of the guitar. This feature is really cool. Plus they have a lifetime warranty so a new neck would be easy to put on if it ever needed one.

You have your preferences and it is your decision to make. I thought I would just mention these great US made guitars because one might be great to own where you live, where I guess the market is saturated with great Asian and Indonesian guitars.

3. All_Thumbs

All_Thumbs Member

Of the brands you mention, I would personally take a particularly close look at Furch and Eastman, both of whom make some killer guitars in that price range. If you get a chance to try an Eastman AC522 you should grab it; it's a kind of sweet spot for Eastman, and a really nice guitar at any price.

That having been said, I wouldn't worry too much about brand names and would try to play as many guitars as you can and choose the one that feels and sounds best to you. In that price range there is no shortage of really nice guitars of all sorts of brands. If you play enough guitars, you will find some real jewels.

4. Jay K

Jay K Member

I'm a fan of U.S.-built Breedloves, particularly at the prices they tend to be available at on the used market (at least here in the U.S.). I don't have any experience with the Breedloves that are made in Korea (or in other places in Asia) although have heard some good things about the Korean ones.

The U.S.-made Revivals might be particularly suited to your needs. Some of the more modern Breedloves seem (to me at least) more suited for fingerstyle than strumming.

But I can't argue with any of the brands you are considering.

5. nowgibson

nowgibson Supporting Member

Taylor's are nice and so many models in your price range especially used. If you don't plan on using this for performance than you can get something without a pickup. Taylors can be bright but try the all mahogany ones. Good Luck