Need help finding a small video recorder

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by samdjr74, May 26, 2015.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi All,

One of my hobbies is collecting and running model trains. I'm also a member of a train organization and write the news letter for the local chapter. I want to do something a little different and use more multimedia applications for the folks who get emailed copies of the news letter. One of the ideas I have is to mount a small camera in the cab of one of my trains locomotives and record both audio and video as the train moves around the tracks. I'll do this for a few different trains as I have multiple tracks so the viewer gets a couple different perspectives. I need some advice from the group as to what I should look for in a camera. I need something small (for those of you who know model trains it's going in prewar O gauge) I've found a few online that are plenty small, they seem to fit on a fingertip but I can go with something the size of a pack of gum and make it work. I don't want to spend a fortune, the cheaper the better of course but under $100 would be great.

Any suggestions?

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I've never researched anything that small but some of the smaller drones have pretty small cameras. GoPro has become the strandard though I don't think they make anything that small.

3. samdjr74

Go Pro seems a little too big for my needs and goes over my budget but thanks, I didn't think this would be easy. Years ago I used my HTC MyTouch which worked but was so bulky I couldn't mount it correctly. Maybe I should try something like that again and build a mount

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

HTC makes a small camera, not sure they model but its maybe the width of three BIC pens and about half as long. I think it's pricy-ish and I think the lens is at a fixed angle.

I almost think you'll be looking at either a spy type device, likely with sub-par performance or a true DIY type thing.

5. samdjr74

The HTC is up there in price but thanks for the info. I agree, I might need to go the spy store route.