• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need help finding a song I heard on a classic country station.

therhodeo

The main line in the chorus is "it's alright mama don't worry about me". Very Elvis/Orbison style production. Big gnarly fuzz sound during the intro.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Marty Robbins tune "Don't Worry". The fuzz is in the break played by the steel guitarist. lol
If it IS "Don't Worry" you are thinking about, that is the first recorded fuzz (yes, country had fuzz before the rock and the roll) from 1959. It was actually a baritone guitar with a blown channel in some kind of recording gear.

therhodeo

That is the right song. I just couldn't get a search to come up with the right one without it coming up with It's Alright Mama by Elvis.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
The song is a good example of pop country from the Chet Atkins let's-get-rid-of-all-the-things-that-make-country-sound-country era.

No fiddle, no steel and it was a huge hit--which is what it's always been about--HITS!

Somehow people still think that country used to be different. It's been about pop hits for a long, long time.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
At least Robbins could sing. Can't say that for alot of the crap country stars now.

Marty Robbins was a Sinatraesque crooner.

He just did what it took to have hits.

I don't know of anyone on the radio who "Can't sing"...I think the days of the instantly recognizable voice like Marty's are over, but there isn't anyone who "can't sing."

It makes zero sense from a business perspective to back and sign someone who "can't sing."

You may be confusing can't sing with Songs I Don't Like. Two different things.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I'm really not.

OK, who do you think "Can't sing."

It's basically a conspiracy theory to suggest that the Nashville powers that be would push someone who literally couldn't sing.

Why would someone risk their job on such a reckless decision?

What examples are you thinking of?

therhodeo

Really not in the mood to even discuss this. I've been down this road before on here. I've given plenty of examples. I'll give credit where its due though. It can't be easy staying on pitch and faking an accent at the same time.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Ok.

Just one question though--do you sing yourself?

As in stepping in front of a microphone and singing in public on a regular basis?

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
Really not in the mood to even discuss this. I've been down this road before on here. I've given plenty of examples. I'll give credit where its due though. It can't be easy staying on pitch and faking an accent at the same time.
Very true. lol

And I agree with you 1000% percent (both in your point and in your decision to avoid the argument).

To further elaborate, I have heard from numerous folks in-the-know of the inner workings of major Nashville production that the town would cease to function without auto-tune. There's a Buddy Miller article somewhere online that says almost that exact thing.

therhodeo

Ok.

Just one question though--do you sing yourself?

As in stepping in front of a microphone and singing in public on a regular basis?
I do. Sang first tenor in college. And yes I sing bgv's quite regularly live. I rarely sing lead as I'm normally on drums or bass but I do occasionally sing lead from the guitar.

roger e

I believe that was Grady Martin and there was a bad channel in the mixing board. What a great solo!

therhodeo

Had a friend at my last job who moved here from Nashville and he asked me if I'd ever heard of Grady Martin and if he was a big deal. It was his friends dad and his friend was always telling him he was a guitar player but my buddy kind of blew it off because everyone in Nashville's dad was a guitar player.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom